Chapter Forty-Two: Landros

It had been impossible to meet with the human girl his cousin had unceremoniously brought at their doorstep. Matters of much more importance had required his attention. He disliked thinking in such a manner regarding someone that needed his healing, but the girl's dilemma was not pressing. It was not until midmorning the following day that Landros sought to heal the girl.

Landros was far from pleased when he entered the Healers Quarter, storming passed servants that knew better than to approach him when a dark mood descended upon him. With brisk efficiency he approached the Quarter Master and was directed to the location of the human girl. Valdor thought him a fool, but he knew that his cousin withheld information.

It was by no happenstance that Valdor and Nim had come across the Protector. The question was why stage the encounter? Valdor did not know the extent of the financial trouble the kingdom faced with his endless roaming. Lack of funds limited not only the commerce within the kingdom but beyond.

The death of King Prathios could have even more detrimental consequences to the coffers of the struggling economy. People had faith in consistency, in what they knew and were familiar on a daily basis. Though everyone assumed he would soon reign the kingdom, there was no love for him amongst the people. They certainly marveled at his healing skills and some admired him deeply, but none loved him.

Not like Valdor. Valdor was whom they loved, and who they secretly wanted as their king. Not him. But that impulsive fool would only lead them into more ruin. Or war with Mithoran with a hasty alliance with Armindia or the Fallen outlaws of the Murmurwoods. Landros saw too many pits in which to fall.

For the moment he would put those troubles aside and clear his mind. Garbed in healer's robes, calm and steadiness returned to him. He looked for peace and solitude within himself. Opening his eyes, he stared at the hands of a healer and it comforted him.

The smell of herbs hung in the air filling his lungs with a deep sense of tranquility that invigorated his senses. Every herb in the room was shelved, bottled and labeled as precisely before his eyes as in his mind. This was his sanctuary.

Even as a young boy, it was here where he could define himself not as a prince or future king, but as a healer. He knew in his heart that was his true calling. Deep within him, he was certain he would have been content with only the healing arts to occupy his life. But he had been groomed for ruling and any choice was out of the question. Clearing his thoughts with a deep exhale, he left his private study in search of the human girl called Lily.

It was in one of the smaller rooms that he found her with her head tilted to the side staring directly at him with unseeing eyes. Before making himself known he took the opportunity to study her, wondering what deception she was plotting. Upon clearing his throat she straightened, "Did you experience any unpleasantness in arriving here?"

Already she recognized his voice. There was a hint of a coy smile on her lips. If there was any unpleasantness in her arrival she was certain she was about to experience it if his clipped tone was any indication. Concealing her thoughts she replied, "None whatsoever your Majesty." She bowed her head knowing he expected her immediate respect. "Your people have been very, uhm...considerate despite my previous encounter."

"Yes. That is precisely what I wish to discuss, now that I have you completely far and away from my cousin's snaring tales and manipulations."

"I have already told you the truth."

Landros stood judging her character based on what little he knew. "You have told me what you perceive to be the truth. However, I believe that is not all of what you know. I will get to the heart of the matter in this. One way or another."