Chapter 48: Domination

"HAHAHAHAHA!" Mad laughter echoed over the northern battlefield as a scourge of blood zipped back and forth over the warriors. Aerial battles between the blood vampire and dozens of wyverns summoned by the desperate Orthana left massive craters in the earth as missed breath attacks slammed into the armies below. Somehow though, over ninety percent of the collateral damage from the battle strangely belonged to the Merrite army.

Syèl, whose mocking laughter simultaneously demoralized and depressed the Merrite army, chuckled at the wyverns hot on his tail. What the draconoids lacked in the magical abilities of the lofty dragons, they made up for with powerful breath attacks which were cleverly manipulated to produce alternate effects for different purposes. The wyverns, whose scattershot tactic failed to penetrate the vampire's defenses, resorted to focused pillar/beam attacks. The concentrated attacks sacrificed splash range for exponential damage increase which even the vampire had to be wary of.

Syèl chuckled as he rolled and banked sharply midair, allowing him to weave through the ceaseless bombardment unscathed. The blood mage's cruel gaze scanned the army below, slight traces of discontent taking root at the collateral damage which, as a result of the wyverns' switch from scattershot to focused beam-like breath attacks had sharply reduced. "Tsk," he clucked his tongue as he gazed over his shoulder at the pursuing wyverns. "Can't even do your jobs right. What use are you then?"

Syèl suddenly climbed vertically, massive wings releasing a blast of wind that suppressed the soldiers below. The wyverns roared with rage as they gave pursuit, eager to end this pest which had taken down numerous members of their clan in such a short time.

Below, Shoko charged toward the pillar of wyverns which had begun to form in the distance. What the swordswoman lacked in agility, she more than made up for with sheer explosive power. Every stomp on the earth was followed by a concentrated release of Ki which launched her tens of meters in a single leap. The Merrite contingent could do nothing to stop her charge as each swing of her blade claimed all lives in her path regardless of power or rank.

Accompanying the blonde saboteur was a demon encased in green lightning. The small figure easily kept pace with the swordswoman, lightning-charged feet tearing across the landscape quicker than arrows in flight. Bodies in her path combusted, reduced to dust by punishing lightning bolts.

Jade threw her gaze to the far distance as the earth begun to tremble beneath her feet. A smirk formed on her lips as accompanied by loud bellows, ten Therium Rhinos charged towards the duo, their stocky builds crushing Merrite soldiers from Olgar's army beneath their feet. The electric mage charged ahead of Shoko, a sadistic grin on her face as she scrolled through her inventory with deft motions.

A set of metal throwing daggers appeared between Jade's fingers, static electricity blossoming in excited eyes. She danced in a circle, intense bursts of electricity between her fingers creating mini-shockwaves as she flung both sets of knives. The knives, propelled as though shot from a cannon, issued shrill cries as they zipped towards the men mounted atop the rhinos.

The Chiefs, although not at Olgar's or Orthana's level were not so weak as to fear tiny knives thrown by a desperate child. With disdain filled snorts, they raised their arms to catch the childish weapon.

"Gotcha!" Jade screamed with a mocking smirk as lightning fired out of a staff that just appeared in her hand. The Chiefs, who were still in the middle of raising their arms, could not understand how they suddenly found themselves facing the sky, with over half of their bodies charred black.

The surrounding soldiers had seen what happened though, and each of them sucked in a deep breath at the monstrous display of power and skill. The daggers, propelled by sonic booms created by concentrated bursts of electricity, achieved speeds which surpassed what even the chiefs had ever witnessed. Furthermore, the blades, despite seemingly thrown haphazardly, had taken advantage of the mage's [Mana Lock] to accurately fly to their respective targets.