Kira Takara Stein

Claire's POV

I was still there. Why? Why didn't I move? Why didn't I leave? Zak was gone. My dad was gone, too. Ugh. That still sounds so weird. "My dad." How strange. I've known him as a professor for months now, how was I supposed to get used to that? And would he expect me to call him "dad" after this? I know I should. That's what mom would want.

"Claire." I turned on my heel, a fake smile on my face. "Right!" Black Star grunted, tilting his head in confusion. "But didn't she just say--" "So what should we do? Since class is cancelled and all?" Liz shrugged behind Death. "Kid! She's scaring me!" I frowned. "What's wrong?" Death shrugged. "You're being a bit bipolar, that's all." I waved a hand. "I'm fine! Processing is over! Nothing's wrong! Everything's normal!" Soul frowned, his hands deep in his pockets. "Claire, you just found out Professor Stein is your dad and you were raised by a lying dick head." I shrugged. "I've had much worse, Soul, I'm fine." Tsubaki sighed. "You're in shock, Claire, that's not fine." I clenched my fists. "Stop saying my name!" They gasped. "'Clarissa Sombre Monroe' probably isn't even my name! So don't call me 'Claire'!"

Silence fell over us like a blanket, and I sighed. "I need to talk to someone. I'll be back." I walked past them, and Death followed. "Cl..." He cleared his throat. "If you're going to talk to my father, you may want his permission. You could just speak with him through a mirror." I stopped. Why hadn't I ever thought of that!

After Death told me the number linked to Lord Death's mirror, I ran to the academy. Why? I don't even know. I ran into the girl's bathroom and sighed. "42-42-564," I spoke as I drew it on the mirror. I dropped my hand and waited for Lord Death to appear. "Hello, Claire! What's up! What's up!" I sighed. "Lord Death, would you mind if I asked you a question?" He shook his head. "No! Of course not! Go ahead!" I clenched my fists as my expression turned dark. "You knew I wasn't Zak Monroe's daughter, didn't you? You knew I was Professor Stein's." He was quiet. "Oh dear. I was hoping this wouldn't have happened. Not now. You weren't supposed to know." I chuckled. "You're not the only one that thought so." I paused. "I want to know the truth. I want to know the whole story." Lord Death sighed, holding out his hands. "I'm afraid Professor Stein has already told you the whole story!" I slammed my palm against the sink. "There's more! There's got to be!" He hummed in thought, putting his fingers under his chin. "Why don't you go talk to Professor Stein? I'm sure he could tell you all about what you want to know." I growled, then nodded. "Yeah. Sure thing."

I left the bathroom and met Death outside. "So? What did you learn?" I growled out, "That apparently my dad is the only one who can tell me anything and everything I want to know."

And so I ran. I knew where he'd be, no doubt about it. The laboratory was the only place he could be. I didn't wait for him to open the door, and I'm not sure he was going to anyway. I pulled open the door and ran inside, into the room we met at last night. There Stein was, his back to us typing away at his computer. "Claire. Sit down." He gestured at the couch, but I stood fast. "What's my name?" He turned around. "Your name? It's Claire." I shook my head. "No. No! My name! The name you and mom gave me!" He sighed. "Kira. Kira Takara Stein." I glared at him. "Kira means 'dark' doesn't it? And Takara means 'treasure'. 'Dark Treasure'? Why?" Stein smiled. "I chose 'Kira' because I knew you'd be dark-minded; you'd get it from me. But you were our first child, a treasure. 'Takara' only seemed appropriate. Your mother wasn't happy with Kira at first, but, after a week, she grew into it. Zak, however, didn't want any part of me to stay with you. So he changed your name to 'Claire Sombre Monroe'. He still kept the darkness, but its meaning changed." I nodded, sitting down. I suddenly felt calm, but I couldn't decide whether it was because Death had a hand on my shoulder or because I'd just discovered what my true name was. "My eyes. They aren't from mom, either. Are they? They're from you." He nodded, leaning forward. "Yes. That's true." I shook my head. "And my wavelength? I can channel it by myself. I got that from you, too?" He nodded with a grunt. "Yes. And your flexible soul, as well. You got that from me, as well. But your Weapon part of you came from your mother. She was a very talented Weapon." I nodded slowly. What else did I want to know? "Could I have inherited any techniques from you or mom?" He paused. "Well, yes, that's a possibility. You could've inherited my Soul Menace and Experimental Ectoplasm. You also could've inherited your mother's Soul Perception. You can teach yourself techniques, but some may be easier with a Meister." He explained. I glanced at Death. Do I really want a Meister? It wouldn't hurt to have one. Besides, it wouldn't be hard to find one! I do have a flexible soul, so I can match my soul to any Meister's here. But the Meister would definitely have to show some potential and sheer focus. Of course, I did have Kai. He was a Meister without Weapon. It couldn't hurt to try.