Frequencies

I observe Molly when she comes into the room. Her hair hangs in tendrils around her face, making her appear like an anime character gone wrong—her eyes too kind and round. She looks fearful and sad.

"Molly, you don't have to do this. We can get another Doctor."

"It's alright, Sherlock, I was already here."

I frown. "I'm glad you're here. Who brought you in?"

"I don't know. A tactical unit came and got me."

I smile. Could it be that Mycroft cares about the welfare of the people that matter most to me? I take her hand and bring it to my lips.

"Sherlock don't, not today, not now. I'm not up to being teased."

"Molly, I'm sorry I can't give you more."

She looks down at me, rubbing her hand across my cheek. "It's alright, Sherlock."

"Molly, I do love you and your small, inadequate breasts fascinate me. I wouldn't mind looking at them, only for scientific purposes of course."

She laughs. "Sherlock, stop."

"I could fondle them, causing your nipples to harden, but then I wouldn't be much good to you. Although John swears he came make a woman..."

She swats my arm. "Stop now."

I grin, not ready to see sadness mar her delicate features again. "Oh, so that's how it is? You know Irene showed me a trick or two with the riding crop. You could use it on me, while I..."

She puts a finger to my lips. "Don't say it."

My smile fades, making my facial muscles relax into their normal state of disuse. I roll up my sleeve. "It's time, Molly."

She nods, then turn towards a metal tray where several vials and a syringe gleam, waiting to be used. I watch her, while she punctures each rubber seal with the tip of a needle. My mouth waters in anticipation. She finds a vein, then uses an alcohol swab to clean the area. "You know I get hard every time I feel the sting of the needle. So, it'll be like we're having sex." I then smile at her, focusing my green eyes on her. "You're beautiful," I whisper, "and maybe when this is all over we can take a nap together, while I think of the perfect plan to find you someone wonderful. Someone who can love you like you deserve."

She bites her lower lip. "Are you ready?"

"Yes, I'm ready to save the world." Then I close my eyes, anticipating the feel of metal into flesh. Ahh, it stings so good. I feel relaxed and I want to rub one out, but poor Molly would probably faint. Molly, my dearest one...She fades into the background. The walls of my mind palace open, allowing me entrance into their hellish, yet perfect symmetry of knowledge. Everything I've ever seen or heard is in here somewhere. I pull up the picture of the puzzle, terrified and entranced by its infinite depths.

***

The Mind Palace Trip

Why am I hearing the song Angel Baby? I smile, imagining you dearest John, in my arms. The way you feel is sublime, but the crooning voice of Rosie and The Originals makes me want to cry. Focus, damn it. My throat hurts, when I banish the memory in favor of the puzzle. I am floating. The colors in the puzzle seem larger than life and I surrender to their power. What mysteries do they hold? What does it all mean? Where is the cipher? One color after another wrap themselves around my body. They look like colored caterpillars—deadly and beautiful.

Each color has a purpose but what is it? Think, Sherlock, think. I should have had Molly give me a bit more.

Yellow

~ 590–560 nm Wavelength Frequency

~ 510–540 THz Frequency Interval

I pull up each of the colors in my mind to determine their wavelength frequencies and frequency intervals. The speed of light, remains constant, as frequency goes up, wavelength must go down. Therefore, violet has the highest frequency and the shortest wavelength of the visible colors of light. And red has the lowest frequency and the longest wavelength of the visible colors of light. Of course, that's it. He is going to use certain frequencies to destroy places in London. But where is his next target and why? I access information about resonance and the natural frequency of buildings and bridges. The natural frequencies of vibration of a building depend on its mass and its stiffness. The natural frequency for each mode of vibration follows the rule f=natural frequency in Hertz. Harmonic frequency. That's it. I open my eyes.

"Mycroft, get in here."

A few moments later, he arrives. "Yes, what is it?"

I stare at my reflection in the glass behind him, ignoring the large dragon I see in its depths. I am terrified.

"Oh, for god's sake, Sherlock, what is it?"

"A dragon," I whisper.

"You're still high."

"No, I know his next target. I just don't know why. Why?"

"What is the target, Sherlock? Focus."

"The Millennial Bridge. It's the Millennial Bridge. Get me a laptop with scientific management software on it."

"Here, this should meet your needs."

I power it up, grimace at the software icon, then roll my eyes. "They couldn't do better than this?"

"Just show me your calculations."

I type in quick, rapid fire motions. My coordination is off. A dubious effect of the drug that flows within my veins. Sweat pours down the back of my neck. It rolls down my back, tracing its path down my spine, until it rests in the hollow between my ass checks. I want to stand up and itch, but I don't dare. The dragon is watching me, watching us all, waiting to pounce. I see blood dripping from its jaws, but it wants more. It wants me. It wants John, Anderson, Alice and everyone I've ever cared for. I look into its golden eyes. You won't get them. I will take us both down to hell before I let you win. Then I close my eyes, hoping that when I open them it will be gone. I know it won't. It lives within the confines of my mind palace. It waits to gorge on my flesh, while it drowns itself in my blood, slacking its lust when the smell of my bodily essences fills its nostrils.