Chapter 26

“Jeff?” I tugged on his hand, pulling him to a stop. “what was he going to say?”  I asked him.
Anger, regret and pain all crossed his face in seconds, “I...well you see this...I didn’t mean too honestly...I was upset at Avery and well...” He looked me in the eyes then shut them before continuing, “I...kissed her.”

My heart stopped and my mouth fell open while my eyes widen in shock. This great, amazing and utterly perfect guy cheated on me! Something wet fell slowly down my cheek and I quickly wiped it away.

“Val, I didn’t mean too, I was pissed and I couldn’t...I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to hurt you.” He stepped closer, reaching out to me.

“Don’t,” I croaked backing away from him.

He looked at me in pain, but he understood and nodded. I couldn’t look at him, tears threatened to slip out and I didn’t want to cry in front of him.

I turned away from him and ran. I don’t know where I was running to I was just running, my throat hurt, my breathing ragged and my eyes were puffy from all the crying. I stopped when my heart was beat too fast and it hurt to move. My knees gave out and I fell to the ground. My heart pounding in my ears made everything hazy and I tightly shut my eyes.

A guy with blond hair dressed in all black flashed in my mind. His dazzling smile that once sent butterflies in my stomach, his deep blue eyes that seemed so trusting. I sobbed loudly as I clutched my stomach as the next image popped into my mind, the same guy sucking face with a slutty brunette. Twice this happened, now three? I should just give up.

The first two were with the same guy, Zac, the blond. I trusted him, maybe even loved him but I caught him with a girl after five months of dating and he promised not to do it again. Hey what was I supposed to do? He was the first guy I ever dated at the time and I was too ‘in love’ to think that maybe this wasn’t right. After another two months of dating him I caught him again. I was too broken and Will being the loving brother his is told me it wasn’t right and then continued to beat up Zac.

My heart couldn’t take it anymore, all guys are the same. Why did I get so attached to the people here? I was just going to get my heart broken when we moved anyway.

“Valarie!” Avery’s voice broke through my loud sobbing. I instantly stopped and wiped my face clear of tears. I didn’t want him to know I was weak. Arms wrapped around me and I felt safe and secure for the first time in my life, with someone other than Will. Warmth spread through my body as I pressed my face into his shoulder, trying to keep the tears in. He softly rubbed my back in circles, he probably meant it as a comforting gesture but it tickled. I squirmed in his arms and pulled away looking up at his honey eyes.

Time seemed to stop as I saw how worried and concerned he was. “Sorry, I wasn’t trying...” He apologized quickly, I knew he meant rubbing my back.

I shook my head, “don’t it tickled.”

He chuckled and pulled me into his chest. I won’t let another guy hurt me like Zac and Jeff did, even if that means pushing away Avery.

I don’t trust them, men.

I’ll just be alone forever taking care of my family, its whats best...