29) This is a full blown, merrymaking shindig!

Chapter Twenty-Nine: This is a Full Blown, Merrymaking Shindig!

    “Where's the baby?” I sang, covering my face with my hands, before I pulled them away in flash, making Charlie jump in his high-chair. “There he is!”

    Somehow, even though he knew it was coming, it always shocked him. Though, it didn't take him long to burst into a fit of baby-giggles, clapping his chubby hands to encourage me more. I indulged his little game a few more times, until Melissa pushed me out of the way so she could feed him his dinner. Though the little boy didn't pay much attention to her, shaking his head at the spoonful of food he reached out towards me.

    “See what you've done, Shay? Now he won't eat!” Liss grumbled, fighting to capture Charlie's attention.

    “I don't blame him,” I scoffed, moving to sit down at the table next to them both. “That stuff looks nasty.”

    Melissa glared towards me and I rolled my eyes at her, before telling Charlie-Bear that I would play with him some more once he'd eaten his food. Even though he didn't yet speak a single word of English, he understood exactly what I'd said and began munching.

    “What are you, the baby whisperer now?” She asked sarcastically.

    “Only part-time.” I replied, flashing her a smirk.

    From behind me I could hear the clicking of heels of Mrs M walking into the kitchen and over towards the kettle and fixing herself a mug of coffee.

    “Another friend round, Melissa? What happened to Shayenne?”

    I wasn't quite sure whether Mrs M was joking or not, so I just said smiled at her and said, “I am Shayenne. You don't like my new style?” I fluffed up the red wig and pulled a picture-pout at her which made her laugh.

    “It's not permanent, is it?” She asked serious all of a sudden, probably scared that it was a ploy of some kind to wind my mother up even more than she already was. Which wasn't such a bad idea, and I began weighing which would make her angry the most; bright red hair or a tattoo of a boy's name on my neck. Hmm, decisions, decisions.

    “Why? Don't I suit it?”

    Mrs M held her hands up and pulled an uncertain expression. “Not saying anything.” Then only after taking a few swigs of coffee she put the mug back down onto the counter top and went on to ask, “So how's your mum and dad? I haven't spoken to them in a while, everything okay?”

    “Yeah,” I shrugged nonchalantly, giving her the short answer. Thankfully before the conversation could go any deeper, there was a knock at the door.

    Mrs M left the kitchen to go and answer it and I turned to look at Charlie and began pulling faces at him behind Liss's back, making her job even harder than usual. She wasn't a happy bunny today, I'll tell you that now and I wasn't helping.

    Mrs M returned with a confused look on her face, her gaze jumped from mine to her daughter's for the answer. “There's a young boy at the door asking for a Roxanne Miller?”

    My eyebrows nearly shot off the top of my head. I spun around to look at the clock above the oven and saw that it was only four, Ki wasn't due for another half an hour! Why was he so early?

    “Shayenne?” Mrs M pressed.

    “Yeah, that's for me.” I admitted, giving her an impish smile.