I Have A Thing For The Hot Nerd - 21

21/08/2016
Highly Suspect - Bloodfeather

All names of places are made up.

Chapter 21

It was warm out, the sky filled with pinks and oranges and the air crisp among the mountains, I still had a coat on though, a thin black coat that reached above my knee and went out like it had a small petticoat beneath. It was warm and quite 1950's so I was enjoying the elegant look it gave my small figure. I pushed open one of the doors, stepping into a white tiled, cream walled building stocked with shelves of tablets, creams and medicines and even snacks, shining beneath bright white lights.
It smelt of bleach and on one side of the room was a counter with more locked storage boxes for prescriptions, the till sat there and beside that was a toilet.

I stalked the shelves, knowing that other than me and the cashier there was only one person there, a guy looking shaky as he searched for the appropriate condoms. I found the band aids and picked the clear ones so they wouldn't be visible beneath my shoes and moved noisily along the tiles with my heels, hurrying to get in the car so we didn't miss our reservation for this evening. I walked smoothly, walking through the store, weaving in and out of the products to get to the counter which was on the far side of the building when the guy knocked me into the shelf
"Watch where you're going!" I spoke, shocked and annoyed whilst boxes and tubes fell from the shelf I'd been pushed into "I-I'm sorry" the guy stuttered, looking around nervously. He searched my face thoroughly, squinted eyes like he was trying to figure out something before he grumbled, tripping over himself and hurrying out of the door with his phone pressed to his ear.

I waved him off, dismissing it and began picking up the tubes of sudocrem and baby oils when my hand came across a box. I felt the blood rush in my ears as I stared at the pregnancy test strangely. "You're being stupid, you aren't pregnant you're on birth control" I whispered to myself, standing up with the box still in my hand, my fingers stroked the cardboard carefully while I stood there, lips pursed thinking whether I should get it or not. I'm the kind of person who believes in signs and the fact that when I came in here that boy was on the other side of the room and as soon as I get to the counter I'm shoved into the baby aisle didn't sit well with me.

I thought about the vomiting recently, there was nothing else that made me think; just the sudden nausea I got every so often. I didn't get period's because of the birth control anymore, I got the injection once every three months and yeah it was due in a fortnight but I was careful and it was 99% effective. My stomach growled and my heart thumped as I held onto the test, unable to put it down for some reason, the thought hadn't even crossed my mind until now. I looked around suspiciously and ran to the counter, purchasing the band aids and the test and hurriedly pushing the stick into the bottom of my bag before I ran back to the car.

"Aaron, get back here now!" I shouted at my dark skinned cousin as he began skipping around shouting "I DO BELIEVE IN FAIRIES" at the tree's, he'd shared a blunt with Jay and I swear it wasn't JUST pot in there because the usually tense Jay was sliding along Ford Focus' quoting Lethal weapon. I blushed in embarrassment and calmed the guys down as we met up with my Aunt Dot and her new boyfriend Len. Will stood awkwardly behind me, his glasses on because of the irritation from the contacts, looking over and past me nervously, we stood out beneath a red, white and green canopy with shaped, decorative pot plants that twirled upwards.

I pulled Will to the side, knowing that by looking at the pale white skin of my aunt he was confused about Aaron's dark colouring.
"Aaron is adopted, Jay is her biological son" I whispered, looking away as though I was being secretive. I heard him breathe out an 'Aah' and he relaxed, his confusion made him tense.

One of the places my dad sent me to was here, this little town of Brackendale to attend the middle school here and I learned about the down to earth if not slightly messed up part of my dads family during my 9 week stay here. My aunt has been single since I could remember, Jay's dad was named Roman and was part of a famous ska band; he stuck around for a few years but followed his dream and Aaron was a family friend until he was about 12, he was in the system and managed to keep it from everyone for a while so when my aunt found out she adopted him legally and since that's been my family. My aunt is a little crazy with curly, if not frizzy white hair and porcelain skin, her eyes were big and brown and she was tall at 5'7 with a slim figure that she usually decorated in scarfs and buttons combined with long skirts and long beaded bags. Jay was handsome, tall and thin with shoulder length brown hair to his light brown skin, his eyes were the same as my aunts although his lips were bigger and his nose longer.