Another Problem

Genre: Angst/Soulmates (It wasn't planned to be angst, I'm sorry?)

Warnings: Blood, slight panic but nothing too intense.

Word Count: 3.8k +

Author: fxck-drarry (Me)

Summary: Harry had a lot of problems, the Triwizard Tournament was the last thing he needed on top of being on Voldemort's kill list and having a bloody hip. Yes, a bloody hip, with a mysterious painful mark.

(Prompt from BunnySparkle101, "Could you make a soulmate one shot? Something like if your soulmate gets a bruise, you get one too." —Sorry if this isn't what you were hoping for <3)

Author Note ; I've changed the order of things, taken things out, and generally fucked up the original plot of the book this was based on, I'm not sorry.

**

Soulmate; the witch or wizard you are destined to be with through an unexplainable bond.

The possibility of obtaining a soulmate originated around the 1800s when healer and potions master Larkin Kempher formed a new strand of potion to cure lovesickness. In his potion Kempher worked the magical world into compliance and was eventually able to give any ill patient a soulmate upon their drinking of the potion, to soothe their pain. The symptoms of having a soulmate ranged from natural tattoos or markings to whispered sweet nothings in heads. This began a huge trend of ingesting Kempher's potion to brag about one's love life with friends.

After this huge boom in soulmate creation, side effects began to occur. People were finding themselves hearing more than sweet nothings from their soulmates. It was noted by healers that many people had reoccurring 'evil' voices telling them to commit crimes or hang themselves for their soulmates. Soon after this side effect, others like itching and burning on soulmate markings began occurring. The theory behind the cause of side effects was that the witches and wizards taking the potion were not made to have soulmates; they were meant to find love themselves. So to explain the negative effects, the reaction was their bodies rejecting the effects of the potion because it was unnecessary. After this theory was published in 1807, witches and wizards began consuming the antidote serum and the rates of chaos decreased dramatically.

This, unfortunately, was not a permanent solution and the generations after began experiencing small bouts of side effects passed down from their relatives. After 20 years of studies, healers and potions experts concluded the side effects began around the age of 14 for most of the population. They could be treated by consuming the antidote or if minor, they could be easily ignored.

It was in 1880 that the healer Hugh Collins published his studies on the continuation of this epidemic. In his studies, Collins noted the amounts of antidote consumed decreased every century, meaning the effects of the potion were slowly fading away. Witches and wizards felt joyful at hearing his observations and began living as normal once again. Within the next decade, like Collins predicted, it was rare to find a pair of wizard folk with these issues.

Now since the 1900s, the occurrence of soulmate side effects is extremely rare and only likely in pureblood families due to their sensitive genes.

The side effects of the potion are listed in depth below:

Extreme:
-Reoccurring nightmares of the death of loved ones or an unidentifiable lover
- Itching on soul markings
- Pain in soul markings
- Bleeding on the site of soul markings
- If a soulmate doodles on his or her person, the other half will see the doodles appearing in cuts across their skin*
- If a soulmate is injured, the other half with be inflicted with the same injury without action being taken
- Burning on sites where non-soulmates have touched or show intimacy