The Shadow

Cold laced my senses, a chill running up my spine. Darkness was consuming everything around me with an undying hunger. Like dancing shadows, silence dominated the landscape. A dumb nature that bathed in nothing but blackness. And the smell of fear.

The earth was cool against the bare skin of my arms, and for a moment, I laid there. Not moving, not thinking, only breathing.

Whatever happened after that light swallowed me was entirely torn out of my memories. All I could remember was waking to the sound of an owl before everything turned mute. An exhilarating feeling pumped warm blood through my veins, a haze obscuring my mind.

It was short, but whatever trip existing between here and the passageway of light was breath-taking. For a fraction of time, I felt my soul being lifted from my physical weight, gracing through waves of time. Fear was washed away, seeping into that magical door. But only for seconds, unfortunately.

My eyes roamed every corner of this wicked wood, the smell of darkness hitting me like miasma.

The trees were high and thick, the branches interlacing together as a shield against moon light. The only sparks of light were from those glowing bugs that hid between the small boscages.

No clue, no sign to tell me how I ended up here. Nothing but mere silence. Worry seeped the warmth of my blood, doubts humming like a dark song in my head.

Lost and alone, that was all I could think about. And with no options on my plate, I started moving. Discretely, I swayed from one tree to the other, my eyes adjusting to the blackness of the lands. My ears were stirred, a sharp radar to every sound, and it was when I heard it.

In the engulfing silence, a soft whisper pierced, humming words from running water. Accommodating my senses to my surroundings, I walked, following the sound.

I walked through bushes and spikes, occasionally cutting my flesh by the sharp brambles. Blood smeared my legs, stinging as the cuts were revealed to exposed wind. But the lookout was worth it. Completely worth it.

In the midst of the clearing, the poising trees parted to reveal a moon. A beautiful full moon larger than any could imagine. Gauzes of pale silver danced across the glimmering leaves and the rippling surface of water.

From a higher esker, a waterfall surged. Waves of water and light coruscated down into a pooling river, reflecting light as a sea of glowing jewels. Several drops seemed to float away, going for a dance on the soft petals of the blooming flowers. Flowers too beautiful to believe in their sights. They seemed to emanate a bluish glow, merging with the scenery all around.

I happily crashed on the bank of the stream, my hands digging in the cool of the water. Washing my face, I breathed in the scent of the blooms around.

I rested and took my time mulling on the situation. Every question, doubt, fear, and worry resurfacing from the corner I'd tucked them into. What's supposed to happen now?

My eyes scanned every detail from the curved oaks to the small ants carrying their feasts until a chill—a god-awful chill ran down my arms. I slowly turned, my eyes not daring to meet what was ogling me. Slowly, too slowly, I craned my neck and met those eyes. And fear bloomed.

From between the thick bushes, a pair of red eyes met mine, a look of thirst plaguing them. The boscages shook and parted, revealing the scarred body of a wolf, blood covering the grey fur and fangs dripping with crimson. Very sharp fangs.

It growled and took a step forward.

Out of pure fear, I shifted back, slowly rising to my feet to flee. It growled again, the sound, an ear piercing growl. A growl that was fed by the scent of my fear in the air.