Chapter 30. Just Take Me Home.

Zander's P.O.V.

I smooth out my coat, run my fingers through my hair, then give myself a once over again in the mirror. I let out a small nervous breath and point at my reflection, "Zander, you will not screw this up. If you do, I'm going to beat you up." Wait what? I shake my shoulders, loosening up my tense muscles.

"Where are you going, boy?"

I look at his eyes through the mirror, a hard glare settling over my face. "No where you'd be able to remember."

He scoffs and points at me with the hand holding his bottle, "Don't speak to me like that, boy!" He takes a step forward, only to stumble and have to grip the wall again to stay upright. I roll my eyes and turn back towards the mirror, fixing a stray hair then spinning to face him fully.

"Don't call me a boy when you can't even be a man yourself."

He glares at me then weakly throws his bottle at me, "Don't speak to me like that! You know your mother wouldn't allow it!"

I glare daggers at him, my eyes flickering over to her small figure leaning against the door way. She smiles at me sadly and crosses her arms, turning her attention back to him with sadness in her eyes.

"Don't you dare bring her up," I take a menacing step forward, "Especially when you damn well know what she wanted."

He stumbles back with wide eyes, "I - I don't - " He tumbles over his words, his eyes darting around the room for an escape. I scoff and push past him, bumping my shoulder with his as I walk by. He stumbles backwards, gripping the wall to keep him steady.

"I'm going on a date, I'll be back later." I mutter under my breath, making it to the top of the steps before his voice stops me.

"Zander . . . I - You really like this girl?" I look over my shoulder, keeping my face impassive. He stands there gripping the wall, his body slightly slumped and his face tired. His words come out with a slur and his eyes watch me desperately.

I look away and stare down the steps, drawing in a deep breath. Don't get your hopes up, it'll only lead right back here. I chant the words in my head, releasing the breath I was unknowingly holding in.

"Yeah, I like her a lot. She reminds me of mom." Sarah's beautiful smile flashes in my memories, the way her cheeks flush brightly when she's embarrassed, the way her eyes would look so determined and would let me know that she was about to give me a kiss. She reminded me so much of my mom. Beautiful, kind-hearted, always wanting to help others, and let's not forget she's a damn great cook.

"I - Um - Good luck, son." I hear him stumble over to the other wall, making his way back towards his room. I sigh and continue down the steps, the nervousness of earlier returning full force.

Gosh, get a grip Zander. It's not like she's the girl of your dreams and this date could make or break your relationship.

Okay, it's exactly like that.

I grab my keys off the table and head into the garage where Mom's old jeep sat. I run my fingers along the hood while I walk by, a pang of pain stabbing in my heart. She loved this car. I grip the keys in my hand and hop in. I take a deep breath and revel in the leathery smell. I love this car.

A smile spreads across my lips as I rev the engine, the door of the garage opening in the meantime. I quickly send a text to Sarah, letting her know I'm on my way. I flick on the radio and some random song starts playing.

I should just tell you to leave cause I know exactly wear it leads and I -

What the fuck is this? I frown down at the radio and then back towards the road.