Reunited

(Author's note)
Hello all. I know it's been a while since I've updated this story, but since a lot of people have requested for it to continue, I'd like to keep it going. I'm not of a hardcore fan of SNK anymore but I still love the series and I'm really looking forward to season 2, like damn the wait has been so long. Enjoy and thank you for reading! ❤️
--------------------
"Where the hell is he?" Jean impatiently wailed, holding Maddalyn's hand as she scanned around the Zoo for Marco.
"He said he'd be here at 12, Jean. It's only 11:55. Have some patience, will you?" I tell him, sensing his aggravation as I give Arabel her baby rattle. She'd been crying for the past 15 minutes, despite Jean's hilarious attempts of pulling the ugliest faces possible to her; but it seemed to entertain Maddalyn at least.
"Damn wrist watch isn't working, that's why." He said, looking down and adjusting the clock on his wrist.
"It's hard to believe we haven't seen Marco in a whole year. I wonder-" I started, but was interrupted by Maddalyn's loud exclamation.
"Marco! Over there! I see him!"
Amongst the crowd of dozens and dozens of families and couples, there he was. A goofy smile with one hand waving in the air, the other holding two animal shaped balloons. Maddalyn ran as fast as her feet could take her. I looked towards Jean, and saw the genuine smile painted across his face.
"Welcome home, buddy." He said, pulling Marco into a tight hug as he approached.
"It's so good to see you guys. How have you all been? Oh Arabel, look at you! And you stop growing so fast too, Maddalyn!" Marco said, ruffling her hair before giving me a hug. He passed Maddalyn a pink giraffe shaped balloon, to which her eyes grown wide at, prancing around with it.

Tying the elephant ballon to Arabel's stroller, we had all sat down together on the bench and must have talked for about half an hour. Questions about everything. How he'd been. What it's like living in a different country. Jean patting him on the back after telling him about his romance with a girl he met during a college gathering. Most importantly, he looked happy. Happier than he'd ever been, Jean thought.

"How do elephants have babies?" Maddalyn asked, leaning against the railing with her hand, head titled slightly in curiosity.
"Well, just like any other animal, sweetie." I laugh. Jean cocks an eyebrow while Marco giggles.
"Hey Maddalyn, do you want to go see the monkeys with me and Arabel? Let's give (Y/N) and Jean a little break, hmm?" Marco suggested with a smile.
Leaning against the railing, I mouthed Marco a "thank you" and looked at Jean, who was staring at the ground.
"Honey, what's wrong?" I asked him. As soon as we were alone, his face was full of concern.
"Nothing. I'm fine!" He said. "for sure. Everything's A-okay, baby."
I knew that look. That look he'd give me whenever I'd asked him if he'd actually done that errand for me. The look he'd give me whenever he'd eaten that last slice of pizza.
"I don't believe you. You've been in an irritated mood all day. You can tell me, it's okay." I assured my husband, moving closer to him and taking his hand. Pressing his lips to my fingers, he gives me a sad smile.
"It's work honey. I've been given the sack. 2 weeks to leave." He tells me.
Confused, I stare at him for a moment. What could he have done to have been sacked? The man is the biggest boaster about his job in the whole town.
"How have you been sacked, Jean? You're constantly telling me how much you love your job now."
"Well..." he twiddled his thumbs like a child, and I couldn't help but cup his cheek in sympathy of him. "I sort of... trash talked about my boss on Facebook. You know how it goes down. They know everything about you. Everything. Where you live. Your mothers name. What you did last Friday night. I'm telling you, it's an act of violation, my boss stalking me like that. Prick." He huffed, scowling slightly.
"Oh honey..." I sigh. But then I laugh. I laugh because it's Jean. Only he could have done that.
"How about, to celebrate me leaving the shittiest job in the world, we go fetch Marco and the kids, and we go grab ourselves some good ol' frozen yogurt." He grinned.
"Now that sounds like a plan." I grin back.

After finishing the day at the Zoo, Maddalyn couldn't stop talking. I'd learnt about 50 new facts about animals in the space of the 40 minute drive back home. The day had tired Maddalyn and Arabel out, and Jean decided to put them to bed while Marco and I sat downstairs, talking. He shown me the pictures he'd took of Maddalyn standing next to a very pleased looking monkey, thumbs up with crossed eyes and a tongue out. I giggled.
"What a fun day, huh. I really do miss being with all you guys."
"Anyone want some chicken wings?" Jean shouts from the kitchen.
"Nah, I'm good man. I'm stuffed after all that food from earlier.
"Suit yourself!" He shouted, before plopping himself on the couch, the bucket in his lap.
"So, Marco, this girl you're talking about. Is she studying Journalism too?"
"Yeah, she's super interesting. Her family is actually from Russia." Marco told him.
"Ah," Jean said, before speaking a bit of terrible Russian he'd picked up from God knows where, to which I face palmed to.
"She's gonna teach me some actually." Marco smiled. "We both wanna travel the world someday. I think she may be a potential travel buddy." He said, chuckling.
"Potential wife, more like." Jean muttered, stuffing a wing into his mouth.
Feeling my phone buzz in my pocket, I pulled it out and unlocked the screen.

(4) Missed calls from unknown number.
Message from unknown number.

(Y/N), it's your father. I know we hadn't gotten off on the best of terms the last time I saw you and your family. But we need to talk. It's urgent. I'm your father and I have a right to see you and my grandchild. Please, answer my calls. I have been trying to contact you for months. Please, (Y/N).

"It's my dad." I say in disbelief.