2. The Chance Encounter

~ she loves books because fiction seems better than reality and he is engrossed in books to compare fiction with reality~

Life seldom is easy. Most of the times you have to learn the hard way around. But the 21st century's utterly selfish and self centred life demands a little more. Here, survivors are those who learn not only from their own mistakes but also from the mistakes of people surrounding them. And secondly, it demands emotions wrapped in practicality. If you can fulfill the above two demands, congratulations! You can survive this world that offers survival of the fittest.
Nandini had grasped this concept too well. She knew when to be emotional and when to be practical. She knew to learn from her surroundings. Moreover, she knew not to trust everyone you meet. You never know, who is being sweet to you for what purpose. Hence, today, when like every other day, she was again 15 minutes late to reach The Central Library, she had prepared all the excuses she might need to save the job. Although, a small corner of her heart knew she won't be fired because the guardian of the library, Ms Richards was a sweet women of sixty something who loved all her employees. Further more, she knew that nandini came from her office via metro and it was bound to take her some time to reach here. But everyday, nandini considered it to be her last day as someday or the other, her lack of punctuality was sure to piss her boss off. But to her astonishment and shock, she was welcomed with a smile and loving pat every single day regardless of how late she came. Exactly the same way, even today she was welcomed and Mrs RIchards asked her to continue her job without a word. Nandini nodded and went on to attend the customers. That was her job- to help the customers to find whatever book they needed and to tell them about it. She knew about most of them since she had been a voracious reader since teenage.

She was roaming between the rows of books smiling at the customers when she noticed someone near the fiction corner. He was standing facing his back, but his height was too much to not notice. In a white shirt and black jeans, he wasn't the kind to go unnoticed. She went up to him and stood beside him, clearing her throat.

" Can I help you sir?", She asked with a formal smile and he turned to face her. Chiseled jaw with a set of deep brown eyes and light stuble and a perfectly toned body that could be appreciated from his white shirt, he was definitely every girl's dream. But his face also held a tinge of innocence that most boys lack.

" Yes, please. I am confused", he requested, staring back and forth between her and the book shelves.

" What are you searching for?", She asked looking above him on the shelf, while he awkwardly faced her, a silly grin on his face.

"Actually, I have started reading just a year back. And I don't have so much of an idea. I wanted to read something interesting and...precisely a love story", he said smiling, trying not to embarrasse himself more. But the way he pouted, unconscious of his own facial expressions, Nandini definitely held back her grin.

"Ok sir, let me help you..", she said moving towards the shelf.

" It's Manik..", he said and she turned back with a frown.

" My name...it's Manik Malhotra . Sir seems so old ", he spoke again and she nodded, amused but holding her poker face right.

"Okay Mr-not-so-old-Manik, here is a piece of advise. Whenever you are confused about choosing a book from a library, always opt the one with the most teared cover or the one that looks most tattered. It ensures that it had been read the most and more often than not, it's a good read", she smiled at him before standing on her toes to pick a book for him. She forwarded him the book and he looked at the copy of 'The Fault In Our Stars' by John Green.

" Since you want a love story, I will say try this. It's a tragedy though, but the love is pure and selfless. It's one of the best I have ever read", she said again handing him the book while he nodded.

"Umm ms...? ", He stammered no knowing what to call her.

"Nandini...my name is Nandini...", She said sensing his hesitation and he scratched the back of his neck.

"Thanku Nandini for your help. And can I ask you for one more favour?", He smiled sheepishly while her senses were all alert now. Her brain working furiously for what favour can he ask her? He looked at her deep in thoughts face and laughed at her.

"All I want is when I finish the book and come to return it, will you have a discussion over it with me? Its just that I like to know people's perspectives on a novel and right now, it's only you that I know have read this one..", he answered all the unasked questions and she smiled in assurance. He thanked her again before leaving to issue the book while she went on with attending other customers.
Neither of them had an idea that this formal and unexpected meet would be the one of the most cherished memory of their lives.

~an unexpected meet with an unexpected person can sometimes turn your world upside down, without giving you a slight hint to adjust~