Chapter 16: Tuesday, Afternoon

Toast got ready to leave the house the next morning. He was meant to be grounded, but he just couldn't stay home all day. He wasn't going to be locked away, expected to be the perfect child again. He looked outside of his room, stepping out once checking that his parents weren't around. They must have left for work; he was safe.

He was standing by the door, checking that he had anything when he heard someone clearing their throats behind him.

He froze.

Slowly turning around, he saw his brother Gavin behind him, raising a curious eyebrow. Toast relaxed a little, but still felt nervous. Would Gavin tell on him?

"You going out?" He asked. Toast nodded slowly. "Need a ride?"

Toast was no longer nervous, but confused. Gavin was going to help him sneak out? "Uh.. you'd give me one?"

"Sure. I'm on my way to my friends house to set up for a party anyways, it's not a big deal." He shrugged. "Just tell me the address."

It didn't take long to get there, Gavin insisted on getting out to meet Ghost. "I've gotta make sure your boyfriend is good to you, Toaster." To which Toast blushed, and insisted that "it wasn't like that!"

Toast knocked on the door, but it wasn't Ghost who answered, rather his older brother Jimmy. He stared blankly for a few moments, looking the two of them up and down. "There's.. two of you." He said, raising an eyebrow. Toast laughed.

"Actually, this is my brother, Gavin. We're twins." Toast explained, and Gavin nodded.

"Yeah, but I'm the hotter one." He winked at Jimmy, and Toast shook his head.

"That's-that's not how twins work, Gavin."

"Shut up! I'm hotter!" Gavin crossed his arms stubbornly, and Toast rolled his eyes.

"I'm gonna have to agree with your brother, Toaster." Jimmy smirked at him. "My brother can have you." He laughed, and Toast blushed.

"You call him Toaster too? And thanks for backing me up." He inched a little closer to Jimmy. Toast stepped away from the both of him, groaning. Neither of them noticed as they eyed each other.

"Well I can't call him Johnny, that's my brothers name too." He shrugged, stepping closer as well. Gavin looked a little conflicted for a moment, and sighed.

"Well, it was nice meeting you. I'm sure I'll see you around, since your brother and mine are friends, but I was just dropping him off. I'm helping my friends set up their party today." Gavin smiled a little disappointedly, and Toast took this time to slip past them into the house, looking for Ghost.

Once he found him he smiled, sneaking up behind him. Once close enough, he grabbed onto Ghost's shoulders and shouted, scaring him.

Ghost whirled around and a fist nearly hit Toast in the nose, but Ghost was fast to stop it when he noticed it was his friend and not his brother who had scared him. "Johnny! What was that?" He stared at him in shock.

"It was the perfect moment!" Toast laughed, laughing more at the face he was making. "I'm sorry, but that was definitely payback for when you made me think I was getting kidnapped a while ago."

"I thought we were passed that!" Ghost frowned, and Toast chuckled, shaking his head.

"Hey, losers!" The two heard Jimmy shout. "It turns out me and Gavin are heading to the same party, so I'm heading out with him. Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone." The door slammed shit behind him.

"By the way, our brothers were totally flirting the moment they saw each other. I had to sneak past them because it was getting awkward." Toast rolled his eyes, and Ghost laughed.

"I'm not even surprised." He shook his head, pausing a moment to think. "Also, Jimmy told me he didn't have any plans for today. Kept saying how bored he was... he totally made that up just to spend more time with your brother."

"At least he's not flirting with me anymore." Toast smiled, and Ghost grinned back.

"Still think that fake-dating could've solved that problem sooner." He smirked, and Toast shook his head at him.

"Moving on," he laughed. "What do you wanna do today?"

"I was thinking we could play some video games. Maybe plan some more pranks for the future." Ghost grinned wider at that. "Anything you wanna do though, really."

"Video games sound like fun." He nodded. Ghost led him up to his room, where they set up and started playing.

The two of them got extremely competitive with their games. At the moment, Toast was in the lead, both of them silently and intently watching the screen.

That was, until Ghost got an idea.

Tapping Toast on the shoulder, he turned to face Ghost, who got steadily closer to him, eyes closing. Toast was confused for a moment, but slowly started to understand what was going on. He wasn't sure what to think.

Did he want this? He didn't think he liked Ghost like that, what if this were super awkward? What would happen if he refused?

What would happen if he didn't?

The questions swimming around in his head didn't really matter at that much, because he was already responding, his eyes closed as he waited.

It was at this time that Ghost's eyes opened. As he was moving closer still, arm around Toast's shoulder, he held tightly to the controller, moving his character in the game to get to Toast's, and win. Once he'd done that, he looked back at Toast, moving so that he kissed his cheek, whispering. "I win."

Toast's eyes shot open, and he looked at the screen in shock. "You tricked me! That wasn't fair!" His cheeks were red, but it seemed like Ghost's actions were forgotten. Toast was too competitive, it seemed. "I demand a rematch!"

Ghost laughed, turning back to the screen. "Alright, alright. I'll play another round." He got almost the exact reaction he wanted.

Almost, but not quite. He couldn't help but be a little disappointed in how quickly Toast got over the almost-kiss.