Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Charlotte's POV:

Tears streaming down my face, I dash out of the office and through the front doors. The chilly air hits me in the face as I start to run. I didn't know what to say. The room was spinning. I needed to get some fresh air and to just get away. The cold wind stings my eyes and they begin to burn. I ignore the pain and push myself faster. This can't be true. My mom is not dead. They are lying.

My legs start to tire and I finally begin to notice my surroundings. Without thinking about it, I had halfway carried myself to Hayes and my favorite spot. We call it the Thinking Rock. It is large enough of a rock for two people to lie next to each other. It is located in the middle of a small forest behind some neighborhoods not to far from both our houses. It is far enough away from all the lights that at night you can see all the stars. We used to go out there a lot when we needed to just get away or needed to think about something. I haven't been here in years but it is the only place I can think of to go besides home.

Home. Where is home anymore? If my mom is dead, where can I stay? Over time I have lost track of my dad and I really don't care anymore. I have no clue where he could be. He is probably still drinking anyways. What use would it be to go to him, which is if I could find him.

The only family I have besides my dad is my aunt. I hate her. She doesn't understand anything and her nose is always up at me. Every time I am forced to visit her, she always tries to take me out and make me get a makeover. She can't appreciate me for who I am. I have no one now.

I spot the rock in the distance and sprint to it. I collapse in exhaustion on it. My body shakes all over and I find it hard to breathe from all my tears and running.

"Why do you hate me so much?" I scream to the sky. "What did I ever do to you? If you were real you wouldn't do this to me God!" my voice cracks and I start to cry even harder.

I don't pay attention to the time and before I know it, the sun starts to set. I know I should head back but I don't know where to head back to. Who would even care if I come back? I could just stay in these woods forever and no one would notice my absence.

By this time, I have stopped crying. I'm lying on my back motionless. I don't know if I should cry more, be mad, be worried, or scared, I just feel lost in myself.

I feel very small as I stare up at the sky. I can see the stars and planets twinkling hundreds of light-years away. Looking at the stars always makes me feel better. I feel so tiny compared to the vast sky and it helps me realize that my problems are miniscule compared to the universe in front of my eyes.

Hayes POV:

Once Charlotte is out of the front door my dad removes his hand from my chest.

The lady standing by the door screams, "Why did you just let her run away?"

"She needs time to be alone. Don't worry she will be back," my dad calmly explains to her.

"No she does not need time to be alone. She is a woman. She needs to just suck it up and deal with it," the lady rants on.

"Ma'am she is 16 and her mom just died. I don't think she can just suck it up and deal with it," my dad replies with a hint of annoyance.

"Don't tell me what to do! I am her aunt. I would think that I know her a lot better then you." she complains as she takes a card from her large purse and hands it to my dad, "My name is Margret. Since it's your fault call me when you find her. Tell her I am staying at a hotel downtown. I don't want to stay in a dead woman's shabby home."

She then closes her purse and struts out the door.

My dad can't hide his disgust.

He turns to me and spits "How can she even be related to Teresa?" and he shutters.

I shrug, to scared to say anything in fear that I might cry.

"Well come on, I'm taking you home." my dad says as he walks out of the office.

The car ride home is in silence. My dad doesn't speak to me until we have pulled into the driveway.

"Give me your phone." he sighs.

I don't complain and reluctantly hand it over.

"You'll get it back when you decide to grow up and realize what a mess you are in." dad explains as he steps out of the car. "Now go to your room and do your homework."

I sulk to my room and slam the door.

"HAYES!!!" my dad screams.

I ignore him and lock my door.

Time passed quickly and before I know, it is dark outside. I already finished my homework and I don't have my phone to entertain me. There is not a sound, the house is silent. I walk over and open my window then turn of my lights. It's almost pitch black except for the streetlight across from my house. I look up into the sky and am surprised that I am able to see this many stars tonight.

I hear the front door open and footsteps stamp around before it shuts. A loud thud echoes through the walls and a person begins to walk up the stairs. I don't recognize the shoes stomping against the floor and my heart begins to beat out of my chest. The feet pause in front of my door, and I can see them from the light shining through the crack at the bottom of the door.

Three knocks on the door

"Hayes?" a voice asks.

Nash.

I sprint towards my door, unlock it and throw myself into his arms. Nash is in his second year of college at The University of Florida, along with my other brother, Will, and I didn't think I could ever miss someone so much. Without him I'm alone in the house, that is besides Skylynn when I am at my mom's house. The past two years without him have been very hard on me.

"Hey squirt. Dad told me everything. How are you holding up?"

"I... I'm fine," I respond quickly, "I didn't know you were coming home."

"Neither did I. I was planning on coming up this weekend but decided to come early when dad called me and gave me the news."

"Where is Will? Did he come with you?" I ask.

"No, he couldn't come tonight because he has classes tomorrow, but he will come over the weekend." Nash replies.

Nash pulls me into another hug.

" I've missed you Haaass and all your annoying little brother ways." He says and squeezes me tight, "I'll be in my room if you need me."

I turn back into my room and close the door again. I sigh and walk back over to my window. I glance around the sky trying to find constellations.

Wait.

I walk down the hall to Nash's room.

"Where is Dad?" I ask.

"He's still out looking for Charlotte. Didn't he tell you?" very puzzled Nash states.

"Well I slammed the door in his face earlier." I reply shifting my feet on the floor. " But I think I might know where she is."