Chapter 20

After much debate inside of your head you decided to text Jack.

You: Hey, do you want to meet me?

You waited a while for a response, it was 6pm so he was probably having his dinner, but then your phone vibrated.

Um, sure. Where? :Jacky

You thought for a moment, not here because stuff could happen that you didn't want to happen, that wasn't really on your agenda anymore. Not with Jack anyway.

You: You know the nature park near campus?

Yeah, I know it :Jacky

You: Meet me there in 5?

Okay :Jacky

It was a slow walk to the park, you'd left as soon as you stopped texting Jack, you didn't want to be alone in the flat anymore.

You checked your messages again just in case Mark had forgiven you, nope nothing.

You saw that he had read your previous message an hour ago but decided not to answer.

You: You're really going to ignore me?

So many things went through your head to say, like 'Real mature', 'I can't believe I trusted you' or 'You're acting like a child' just something about being ignored wound you up.

You thought it best not to text him while you were angry so you put your phone back into your pocket.

That's when you saw Jack bounding up to you like a lost puppy that had just found its owner.

You weakly smiled at him while he beamed at you.

'Hi' was all you could force out, 'How you been?' Jack asked straight away.

'Good, you' you said awkwardly as you gestured to walk.

'I've been good' Jack answered then a weird silence filled the air around you, only the sound of leaves crunching under your feet could be heard.

'Look' you said, taking a moment to think of how you were going to word this next bit 'We need to talk about last week' you finally pushed out.

'I thought that was why you texted me' Jack said sadly, 'We need to know where we stand with each other' you explained.

'Well, I'm just going to come out and say that I had a great time' Jack laughed, it picked the atmosphere up a little 'So did I' you said honestly, 'But, it shouldn't have happened' you continued.

'Oh' was all he replied with, 'I like you, just not in that way' you said, it sounded horrible to say it but you had to be blunt or you wouldn't get your point across.

'I guessed' Jack said, he seemed as though he was trying to be positive but you could tell he wasn't doing to great.

'Is this why you haven't spoken to me in ages?' he asked, 'It was just a bit..' you started, not knowing where to finish.

'Awkward?' Jack finished for you, you just nodded in agreement 'I'd love to stay friends with you though, you're an amazing person but I don't want the friendship we could have ruined' you tried to sound mature but you weren't sure if it was coming across that way.

'There's someone else aint there' he said as though he could read your mind.

'I don't know' you said truthfully 'I thought there was, but I think I fucked it up' you had no idea why you were venting to Jack of all people.

'Well, whoever they are, they're lucky to have you' he said stopping in his tracks, 'Thanks for the closure I suppose but you don't need to pander to me anymore' he said as you turned around to face him.

He took your hand in his and looked at it for a second, 'Just don't fall off of the radar next time we fuck' he said, you were shocked for a moment until you heard him chuckle.

'I'm joking' he finally said, 'Just don't be a stranger' he gave you a small kiss on the cheek and walked away, you watched him leave as he abandoned you in the park alone.

You continued to walk around the park until you came to a small lake with benches around it.

You took a seat as you watched the moonlight reflect on the water. It was really beautiful.

You were distracted by a light source opposite you, you looked towards it and saw someone sitting on the bench on the other side of the lake.

It may have been your imagination but you could have sworn they had brown hair, they typed on their phone for a while and then put it up to their ear.

They hadn't seen you and you doubted that they would, it was dark and you were wearing all black.

'Um, Hi' they said into their phone, your stomach dropped as soon as you heard their voice it was Mark. You thought about walking away to avoid any insults he would have to throw at you but you were frozen to your seat.

'Yeah, look the only reason I'm ringing is to get some stuff straight okay?' he continued, he sounded mad at the person on the other end.

'Yeah- um- I don- I know bu- look' he kept getting interrupted by the person on the other end of the phone.

'Listen to me, Jess. I don't want anything to do with you, you need to stop' he shouted, running a hand through his perfect fluffy hair.

'No' he said, seeming to cut the other person off now 'You need to stop coming into my room when it's not strictly business related, it's not professional' he said.

Oh, how ironic!

'I have someone else okay? That's why I keep turning you down. Now leave me alone before I have to report you to the head of department' he grumbled before he hung up the phone.

You took this as your opportunity to leave, you got up off of the bench and continued along the path. So that teacher that keeps wanting alone time with Mark is called Jess and does this mean that everything is okay between us?

You glanced back at Mark on the bench, he was watching your figure leave but by his body language it seemed as though he didn't know it was you. You slowed to a stop, wondering whether you shout to him that it was you.

You saw his gaze cross over from you and to something else that was on the same side of the lake as you, he stood up in a startled manner.

You looked behind you to where he was looking and saw two men walking towards you.

You thought nothing of it until you saw the moonlight reflect off of something in one of their hands.

'Girly' one of them cooed, 'Come here, we just wanna talk' the other one sang.

Adrenaline flew through your body as soon as you realised that the thing in their hand was a knife.