Chapter 1

I heard the doors open and it was like I somehow knew it was her.

There she was. Dakota Jones. I couldn't help but take in every inch of her appearance.

The way her wavy, brown hair bounced on the left side of her head as she walked down the hallway with her friends. Her hazel brown eyes that was so full of life. The way her feet moved so smoothly against the floor. Her cute little button nose and small, barely noticeable, freckles. The black jeans that were slimmed around her legs and ripped on one knee. The amazing smile she wasn't afraid to show off.

She wore braces the first time I saw her. I remember how she hated it, but she kind of looked good in them. Not that it's wrong to have braces; I mean I used to have it myself.

I briefly remember our first conversation in freshman year, when we got paired up as partners for a project. She shyly introduced herself, barely showing me her teeth because she was ashamed to let people know she wore braces. But frankly, I didn't care. I was so caught up in admiring everything else about her.

Like that one little strand of hair that always falls down into her face, no matter how many times she pushes it aside. Like the silver necklace she's always wearing or the worn out pair of black converse.

Dakota Jones was a girl everybody liked. I've never met someone who has had anything bad to say about her. She's kind to everyone, even though some of them don't deserve to be treated with kindness. Her friends seem to really appreciate what she does for them. Last year she had a boyfriend, and god knows how jealous I was. I remember thinking to myself that she shouldn't be with a jerk like Mike. She was way out of his league.

Just like she's too precious for me.

I know she knows I exist because she often smiles at me when we meet in the hallways. But what she doesn't know is that I've had a major crush on her since the day I saw her.

"Dude, you're dribbling any second now."

Zach's sudden voice got me out of my little trance.

"Just ask her out already. I mean we're graduating in two months. Soon it will be too late." Sebastian continued.

"But I can't just walk up to her and say 'hey, wanna go out with me?' now can I?" I sighed and closed my locker.

"Of course you can! What's the big deal, it's not like you're asking her to marry you." Zach laughed.

"Not that he would mind that either. Come on Niall, what's the worst that could happen?" Sebastian looked at me, but I looked behind him. Dakota was standing by her own locker further down the hall, laughing with her friends.

"She could say no and I'd become an awkward mess and tell her I was only joking."

Sebastian rolled his eyes.

"Both of us know that you're going to regret not asking her out once we're out of here."

"Imagine ten years from now." Zach began. "You run into her in the street and she's happily married and is expecting her second kid, with some guy that's not you. And you would probably still be in love with her, even though she barely knows your name."

"Wow, thanks for the pep talk guys." I muttered and headed down the hallway for first period.

"All I'm saying is that you could be that guy, if you just stepped out of your comfort zone for a change. Just ask her out on a date, see what happens and then we go from there."

"Or you can continue staring at her from a distance and let other guys have her." Sebastian said, lightly nodding towards her.

I looked up, seeing Tyson making his way over to Dakota and her friends. I could tell from his movements that he was about to hit on her. He smoothly slid in between her and one of her friends, just to get her fully attention.