four

━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━

The following morning carried on longer than she would have preferred. Doctors traveled in and out of Rafe's room, checking her vitals and bombarding her with questions.

It truly awed her how hell bent Ward was at keeping her alive and healthy. Though it wasn't something he particularly showed himself, when he personally delivered her back to the cell a few hours later after hearing from the doctors she would be okay.

The hours since her last meal felt longer than the past few days she'd spent here, and with Rafe ensuring her stomach had been completely emptied the night before, she was aching for any food she could lay her hands on.

It wasn't much longer before dehydration also took over, and she felt dizzy. The fresh change of clothes she had on were tainted the moment she hit the floor of the cell, and became coated in dust and dirt. But she didn't allow it to affect her mood, instead she thought of her conversation with Wheezie.

And then, she made a vow to herself, no matter how long it took, she would escape.

I will escape. I will escape. She repeated the promise over and over again in her head, like a life line. Clinging onto it as a means of survival. A purpose.

Because now it wasn't just about herself. But Wheezie too.

Evening approached quickly with her mind distracted. When soft click of the metal door being unlocked the sun was just beginning to set. She didn't have much time to prepare herself for what would be on the other side before it was yanked open. A large man stood there firmly, no one that she recognized.

Valerie wasn't sure whether this was or not.

"Time for you to shower." She instantly notes the disgust on his face as his hand wraps around her arm, touching her skin carefully like it contained a toxin. He lifts her up off the ground, clearly not amused in doing a job Ward most likely felt to be beneath him.

She allows him to lead her down a hallway she'd yet to explore, partly because she's excited about the idea of a shower, and because another part of her knows there's no use in trying to free herself from this mans grip. Because even if she did, there was no where to run.

She'd learnt from her past few nights here that if she wanted to escape she had to be smart, rather than mindlessly jump into something with no plan or knowledge of where she was.

They stopped at the end of the hall in front of a shut door. The man twisted the knob and pushed her inside with little to no reassurance it was actually a bathroom she was entering. Valerie's eyes were squeezed shut for a moment, stumbling to keep her balance.