Chapter 21 - Fired Up

Today was the day: the final cut.

Walking through Battlecast's cavernous main doors, Codi could feel her heart thumping inside her chest. It didn't make sense to be nervous. She'd been guaranteed a team spot, but she still needed to see it; needed to know it was real. That, and she desperately wanted to know who would be accompanying her into the jaws of the Gauntlet.

The tension in the air was palpable as she joined the other hopefuls filing into the main gymnasium. There were forty of them – that meant twenty more names were still to be blotted off the roster. Those that had come before were still scattered around, the students who'd opted to remain at Battlecast to take another crack at the team next year. They weren't training now, though. Heads turned as the finalists trooped in – it was a procession and a death march.

Codi fell into step with Chris and Ripple, but she caught Leela's eye from across the group. The other girl managed a nervous smile before her gaze shifted back to the head instructor.

There was no podium today. Llewellyn stood on solid ground, just like the rest of them, with the senior instructors flanking her like a guard of honour. The forty surviving fighters pressed in, but left an arc of space over two meters wide between them and the coaches. There was a moment of foot-shuffling and jostling before the recruits settled. Then, without any introduction or ceremony she started speaking, her powerful voice echoing out over the gym.

"First, I want to congratulate each and every one of you for making it this far," she declared. "It will not have escaped your notice that competition here is ferocious, more so than any other academy in space. Whatever happens today, all of you can be proud of your achievements."

An almost inaudible hum of appreciation rippled through the finalists. Codi looked around at their faces – all of them masks of grim determination. She wondered if she looked the same.

But Bronagh Llewellyn was still talking. "And I have some good news, at least for some of you. With such an exceptional crop of new fighters I was able to...persuade the academy financiers to increase our compliment. We will be taking twenty-five of you to the Gauntlet."

Now the murmur was definitely audible and she saw the determined façades crack as the others started exchanging excited looks. Their odds just went up. She glanced at the two veteran fighters beside her. Chris O'Leary's mouth had twitched into a smile, but he stood calmly, his massive arms folded across his chest. Ripple, as usual, didn't give any hints as to what she might be feeling. Across from them the nervousness in Leela's expression fell away, replaced by one of hope.

"Those of you not on this list," Bronagh continued. "Are still welcome to attend the Gauntlet in a spectator capacity, and I mean it when I say I hope to see all of you return next year."

And then she started reading out names from the dat-pad in her hand.

"Chris O'Leary."

No surprises there then. She caught his eye; gave him a small nod. He returned the gesture but otherwise his expression didn't change.

"Ripple Thawborn."

Two out of two. So far none of the fighters had really reacted. Everyone had been ready for this.

"Codi James."

A shudder of delight rushed through her at the sound of her name, the sound of confirmation and validation of everything she'd been working for. She exhaled a long, slow breath and closed her eyes for a moment. That was that – she was going back to the Gauntlet.