˚₊‧18‧₊˚

Pic of David
˚₊‧✩ଘ✩੭✩‧₊˚

By the time I made it back to my room, I was utterly dejected. I'd stayed another hour with Lucas, keeping him company, and I managed to convince him to stay until Friday. I didn't exactly tell him, but I was going to look for a way to help.

I walked over to my desk where my laptop was, hoping to find some kind of aid on the internet.

I paused, looking behind my computer. Lying in the corner of my desk was my pride flag, still folded up in its transparent bag.

I'd disregarded it every day since I moved into this dorm, thinking I didn't deserve to hang it up. I thought I needed to be sure of myself and my sexuality first. Or maybe David was right. Maybe deep down, I wanted to receive the benefits and societal privileges that came with being straight.

But I wasn't straight. That much was obvious. Still, where was my pride? Because I didn't feel it.

I almost jumped in the air when my phone buzzed. I pulled it out of my pocket and checked the notification.

It was a message from David. We'd finally swapped phone numbers, and I was glad he wasted no time in contacting me.

David: Have you seen Everglade Park?

I went to my bed and sat down, my eyes never leaving my phone screen as I typed a reply.

No, why?

David: I'm there now. Would you like to join me?

I felt like my heart was pumping out fiery blood. Was he really asking me to meet him at a park in public?

Are you sure? Won't people see us?

I bit on one of my nails as the blinking ellipses popped up, indicating that he was typing.

David: Everglade is further from campus. It's the park people go to when they don't want to run into college students... no offense.

I chuckled at that. I could picture him saying that in his charming way.

None taken. Even I want to get away from this place sometimes.

David: Consider me your respite.

How far is it?

David: I'll send the location. Better yet, I'll send an Uber. I know you don't have a car.

How thoughtful.

He stuck to his word, paying for an Uber to pick me up. While waiting, I changed my outfit yet again to make sure I was presentable. I knew David enough to understand that he appreciated inner character over outward appearances, but I wanted to look irresistible.

When the Uber driver dropped me off at the park, I glanced around, drinking in Everglade Park.

I was a sucker for nature. And here? Well, I could live here. I admired the green hills touching the cobblestone paths, the glittering man-made lake with fountains in the center of it all, and—my favorite—the gorgeous view of mountains in the distance. Despite its beauty, I was a little on edge. The sun had started to set, and there weren't many people around. Also, I wasn't in the safety of the university campus. It was almost thirty minutes away.

I unlocked my phone, heading to my messages.

I'm here. Where are you?

A moment later after I sent the text to David, a dog's excited barks grew reached my ears, and I turned around.