Chapter 63: Roxy

Brae and I were sitting quietly on the top of Bryer hill. I lay with my head resting in his lap, although I was being careful not to knock against his stomach, which was still healing from Cinaer's dagger.

I still couldn't believe that we had survived.

We wouldn't have if it hadn't been for Tristan.

Jasmine had told me that when he saw what was happening, he had communicated with the panicked drakon, making it swoop beneath us to catch Brae and I as we fell. Tristan had made no attempt to rescue Cinaer along with us. Barely registering my actions, I wrapped my hands around my wrists, holding the scars that would forever serve as a reminder of what Cinaer had done to me. I did not mourn his death.

Once Jasmine and Tristan had seen the extent of Brae's wounds, Tristan had jumped onto the dragon too and had flown himself and Brae straight back to the city's hospital for treatment. Brae had remained in hospital for weeks.

But he had been lucky; my body had shielded him from the worst of the flames and he had only suffered cosmetic damage to his arms and cheeks.

He was now running his hands slowly through my hair, humming softly.

"Brae?" I said, trying to get his attention.

"Yes?" He sounded sad.

"I spoke to my dad. He wants to go back to the Helian Realm in three days." His hand stopped, frozen. "He's going to take control of the Realm. It's time for us to rebuild; to move on from what Cinaer did to us and start afresh. But he said... He said that I could stay. For now, at least."

"Are... Are you sure?"

I sat up, spinning round so that I was facing him, his face inches from mine.

"Brae," the word came out more as a murmur. "I've never been more sure of anything in my life."

He brought his lips against mine.

{Penultimate chapter alert! Come back on Friday for the final ever Elements of Power update! I'm going to miss posting this series so much. Thank you to everyone who has been reading, voting and commenting, it means the world.}