Chapter 47 - A Weaver's Wings

Chapter 47 – A Weaver's Wings

The deity of darkness appeared and she glanced at her sons. She saw her middle child in the Moira's embrace, but she didn't approach them. Instead, she strode toward the powdery soot that outlined what was once a deceiver's body. A small, round and smooth object glistened in the ashes.

Nyx leaned down, picked it up and lifted it to her eye level.

"Is this the same one I had traded for Icelus?" she asked the god of death.

Thanatos nodded. "The very same that Acteon stole from Selene. Your pearls do not follow their bearers to Tartarus."

"I had secured Icelus' immortality with this pearl," Nyx uttered, uncharacteristically musing through memories. "How did it end in Acteon's possession?"

Thanatos had placed it inside a vase in Icelus' gallery. Yes, he had considered it a rather negligent decision particularly after the events that followed. And now the queen of the night was not so subtly admonishing him.

"I misplaced it," he responded. He would not need to expound. The divinity of shadows knew.

"Finders keepers," Nyx said as she tossed the pearl to Thanatos, and the god deftly caught the precious gem. "Let us not make a habit of bartering in this currency. I am not fond of weeping."

Thanatos grinned slowly as he rolled the pearl between his fingers. He gazed at Nyx and told her, "But I find this human side of yours quite charming."

Nyx glared at him and retorted, "Don't you have work to do?"

Thanatos laughed. Nyx was a true queen and her wish was his command. He turned his head toward Icelus still clutched in Selene's arms, then declared, "It is done."

The goddess tilted her head in approval. She closely watched her son as he regained his infinitude. Nyx took a deep breath and stemmed her tears. She would not cry again.

Selene had her eyes closed as she held Icelus tightly. This was a dream and she wanted to wake up. If she would never rouse, then she would never let go. She would stay with Icelus in eternal slumber.

She jumped when she felt Icelus' body move, ready to lash at the person who was attempting to take him away from her.

But Icelus was not going anywhere.

The weaver of nightmares moved as his wings surfaced, and he stretched them wide. His heavy, powerful wings. How he'd missed them.

"Ice? Are you..." Selene asked as he held her hands in his and helped her to her feet.

Icelus smiled at his beloved. "Immortal? Yes... like you."

Icelus pulled Selene to him and enveloped her in his wings. His beautiful and brave Selene. She'd saved him. He didn't imagine he could be this whole again—with his wings on his back and with her in his arms. Selene stood on her toes, cupped his face between her hands and kissed him. He gathered her to him and deepened the kiss. Their hunger for each other would never be sated. Eternity would not be enough.

Not that either of them had expected eternity. They both slept to enter a nightmare and now neither of them wanted to wake up from this dream. Was this but a dream?

"Does this mean Icelus gets to stay here with Selene?" Morpheus asked their mother.

Icelus raised his head and Selene flushed, not realizing they had an audience. Phantasos smirked at his brother and winked at his best friend. Icelus clasped Selene's hand and they walked toward his family.

"No," Nyx replied, her eyes on Icelus. "You all have to complete your penance."

Then she looked at Selene and told her, "I gave Icelus immortality, but you gave him a soul. Thank you."

Nyx shifted her eyes to her other two children and continued, "All my sons can learn a thing or two from your ingenuity."

Selene turned red again and couldn't do more than nod. She tried not to think about how she'd intentionally prodded the goddess earlier. Icelus squeezed her hand and grinned at her. He was so proud of her.

Somberly, Icelus addressed Nyx, "Now I understand why you were so cold to me."

The mother faced her child. "Why?"

"I am not your son," Icelus murmured as he hung his head in disgrace.

Nyx narrowed her eyes and inquired, "What have you learned during your stay in the mortal realm?"

Icelus looked at Selene. He figured out the answer to that question a decade ago. "I discovered that humans are better weavers than we are. We are simply guides. Spectators even."

A ghost of a smile fleeted across Nyx's face. She and her stepson were alike in more ways than one. There was a time she would've criticized his inference, but she, too, had learned a valuable lesson. "Such a humble response, but do not sell yourself short... my son."

Icelus was stunned. Indebted. But he would take it. It was more than he deserved. Nyx—his mother—had bestowed him his life, his immortality, twice.

But he had to know in order to understand. "Then why?"

"Because your father may have fancied your mortal mother," was Nyx's curt response. She refused to be bothered by that indiscretion further.

"I am so sorry, Mother. If only I could rectify..."

"Oh, hush. Do not be ridiculous," Nyx countered. "I was simply jealous. It's a response even we formidable gods could not escape. Your mother gave you your golden eyes. And seeing them is a constant reminder."

Icelus bent his head in shame.

"But I gave you my wings."

All three brothers looked up and watched in awe as Nyx stood tall and unfolded her extensive, leathery appendages.

They had not known their mother had wings.

**

A/N: Thank you to all you wonderful people who motivated me to complete this story. I'd never have made it to the finish line if not for you amazing readers.

Every read, vote and comment gave me that push to finally "master" cheese (I hope). Let's celebrate and have some wine and grilled cheese sandwiches :-)

 Let's celebrate and have some wine and grilled cheese sandwiches :-)

🎉 You've finished reading He Who Weaves Nightmares | PUBLISHED (Available in Print and eBook Format) 🎉