Stick Up for Yourself (Short Story)

So one Friday night I had a volleyball game against a decent team. I didn't think there was going to be a problem, but boy was I wrong. 

My coach had chosen a side to sit on, and coincidentally there were members of another team and a group of boys behind us. Again, why should there be a problem?

Some schema here: I was bullied in the smaller grades and sometimes in the bigger grades, and have since been a little afraid of sticking up for myself. Then I realized I have to be the change I wish to see in the world, so I started sticking up for myself and others around me. 

So the game had started and as usual I was paying attention to my team and cheering them on. Then I heard my last name being softly chanted behind me. They were also making fun of me. 

The first time I turned around was to give them a disapproving look. Did I think it would help? Maybe. 

Okay, the first set continued and they kept doing it and doing it. 

"We want __(last name)__!" I was fed up so I turned around for the second time. 

"And I want you to shut up." That was my reply and of course, as most young people do, they reacted by saying ooooh. . .little did I know it wouldn't solve anything. 

More schema; a normal game of volleyball consists of three sets: one on one side, one on the other side, and then last set is on the original side. (So basically, you switch sides twice.)

So when we switched sides, I was greeted with a pleasant silence behind me. It was great. We were winning and I felt totally relaxed. Then my coach put me in and I played for a while before she took me out. 

Then we had to switch again. I knew this wasn't ended, so I kept my cool and acted like it didn't bother me. 

So I sat were I was originally sitting, following suit after my coaches and team. What happens next? You guessed it! They pressed on. 

- - - - - 

Before the game was almost over, my patience was wearing a little thin and I thought: the next word/phrase that comes out of their mouth will be the one I react on.

Like I had predicted, more was said and I had enough. 

"Listen, I don't have the slightest interest in what you have to say. I am trying to pay attention to my team here and you are being SUPER rude so shut up and grow up." And of course the assistant coach was looking at me like I had just done something spectacular. In a way, I had. 

THE BIG MESSAGE:

So I stuck up for myself, and in a rather entertaining way. Don't be afraid to stick up for yourself! You shouldn't let others stomp all over you. Show that you are the bigger and better person.