So, You Want to be an Author ...

You've made the decision. You want to write. You have an idea you know is so fabulous that someone out there is going to flip over it and you'll sell millions of copies!

Right? 

Just take a deep breath, and hop back to reality. It is never that easy. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the chances of getting your book discovered are about the same as becoming the next pop star, or award-winning actor. It's very small and many times it is about being in the right place at the right time and meeting the right person. 

You'll be reminded, often, of J.K. Rowling. She was a near failure while shopping out Harry Potter to agents and publishers. No one wanted the book. She was on welfare and penniless. Then she found the right home for it. It wasn't instantaneous, it was work. A lot of it. To find a place where Harry was at home. 

I'm not trying to discourage you or tell you to give up hope on your dream, just be realistic about it. Don't quit your day job just yet. 

I have celebrated getting a royalty check of .75 from Amazon. That was the first payment I received in months. Promoting your work is difficult. Gathering followers on social media, posting constantly, participating in events, it's all things you must do to promote yourself and your work. Yes, even if you publish through a publishing house. You have to build your following all on your own. You don't complete your book and BAM you're done and can sit back and rake in the cash. 

And trust me when I say, once that first book is out people will begin to ask when the next one is coming out. They always expect more from you. 

There are events for books, all kinds of conventions to attend, to help sell and promote your work. This will require actually speaking to fans. If you aren't good at public speaking (clears throat and looks at anything but people) it can be difficult. When I get nervous I tend to ramble, it's embarrassing but I deal. 

If writing is truly what you want to do then I encourage you to follow that dream. I don't know what I would do without writing in my life. It's a big part of who I am. Just be prepared because it is a lot of work. 

From start to finish it's a long difficult road that requires dedication. There is a lot involved in crafting a novel (a lot of it is cursing and swilling coffee) but when it's done and you're holding the final printed copy in your hand, it's all worth it.