Chapter 5~Anniversary

That night I slept like a rock. I didn't wake up once to take an early morning walk like my usual routine. I was in a deep slumber when I heard Fiona yelling in my ear.

"Celeste! Celeste! Wake up!"

"What?" I groaned as I pulled the covers over my head.

"It's the 10th anniversary of the Utopian government!" she exclaimed and I rolled my eyes.

"Fiona when do you suddenly care about the government?""

"I honestly don't! It's just dad said that the food has been upgraded and we won't be eating disgusting overcooked meat anymore! We can even customize our own platters now! Come on Cel!" she said as she pulled my arm to get out of bed.

...

"Good morning girls," greeted my dad as he was carrying two treys of steaming food to us. "Happy anniversary to the government. Now eat up!"

The trey was piled with fresh fluffy egg whites with small pieces of ham accompanying it.

"This is- delicious," I said while taking in a huge bite. "I never thought I'd be saying that."

"Can we get seconds?" asked Zander while staring at his empty platter.

"There's more good news too! We decided to add one more meal into everyone's daily routine. So to answer your question Zander, yes you can most definitely have more!"

My dad was in quite the upbeat mood this morning.

My mom entered the kitchen wearing nude colored pumps and a somewhat tight black dress.

"Damn mom!" I exclaimed and Beckett burst out laughing.

"Oh god is this to much?" she said self consciously as she covered up her chest area- like that would do any difference.

"No, it's not, it's just we're so used to seeing you in mother clothing," laughed Beckett. "But I gotta admit, you better keep an eye on your wife today Mark!"

"Sure do," he said as he planted a kiss on her cheek.

"So is this party being held at the Fresh Start headquarters?" I asked.

The Fresh Start headquarters was the place where all of the food was processed. I remember going there once on a school field trip and it was something not worth remembering.

"Yes, and we should be there all day and get home late. So Celeste I expect you to be the responsible mature one here and look after your siblings," said my dad.

"Well of course," I smiled.

...

The doorbell rang indicating that Miles was here to pick the four of us up for the last week of school before fall break.

"Hello Miles!" Greeted my mom.

"Woah Mrs. Hardy you look quite stunning!" he said.

"Today's the 10th year of the Utopian government! Mark and I will be attending an event going on all day today," she informed.

"Well you two have fun with that!" said Miles as I hugged my parents goodbye and my siblings piled into the car.

"Do you remember that field trip?" asked Miles while opening the door for me.

"I think I've tried so hard to forget it," I laughed. "That smell just never seemed to leave my senses!"

"The smell was horrendous!"

Miles closed my door and quickly made it over to the driver's seat.

"Since you're parents are going to be gone tonight do you want to come over to my house later this evening? Dinner maybe? If you don't it's totally fine, I understand,"

"Sure!"

"Wait really?"

"Why would I not? I haven't seen your mom and brother in awhile!"

"Can I come?" Asked Fiona from the back seat.

"No sorry Fee, next time okay?"

She crossed her arms and looked out the window with her signature pouty face.

"Don't take it personal," I whispered to him and he smiled at me.

...

The continuous cycle of classes began as the bell rang. I sat down in my first period class and Piper pulled her chair up right next to my desk.

She was wearing a small circular pin on the left side of her shirt that read: 10.

"Nice pin," I said pointing to it.

"It seems like every year they just keep adding less and less to the pins," she said as she took it off and readjusted it. "Where's yours?"

"I didn't think I needed one?"

"Oh right, you have a dad instead who is actually employed there,"

"Spot on."

"So do those rumors affect you? You know, the ones that Alan spreads?"

"Alan doesn't have a clue on what he's talking about. My dad isn't a cold blooded killer. Alan just finds my family and I an easy target to pick on since I have a member who works for the government. It's nothing and it doesn't bother me,"

"I heard that he has the hots for you,"

I let out a small puking noise.

"That's revolting. Seriously,"

"He's not that bad actually," said Piper while batting her ridiculously long eyelashes.

"You're kidding me right?"

"But he's an asshole like you said and that automatically makes him unattractive. I see your logic," said Piper.

"My parents are going to be at a convention all day today and Miles invited me over to dinner,"

She let out a gasping noise.

"Hold that thought for a second because we have an incredibly hot new student. 12 o' clock," she said pupils wide.

"Oh would you stop?" I laughed while pulling out my binder. "I'm not interested. Seriously."

"Just look!"

I then saw who she was talking about and my mouth dropped open.

I glanced over her shoulder and saw the most gorgeous human being.

"Talk to him!" she said nudging my shoulder.

"No! I can't just go up to him and start a conversation! I don't even know him!"

"That's the whole point Celeste, I swear when it comes to boys you are-"

"Ladies! Have some respect for our new classmate!" shouted Mrs. McCaan shooting Piper and I her notorious glare.

We must have been talking loud because everyones eyes were upon us.

How embarassing.

"Okay class!" announced Mrs. McCaan clearing her throat, "today we have a new student," she said and gestured to the seat in front. The boy had jet black hair, piercing blue eyes, light freckles, and a strong jaw line.

"My name is Oliver."

"Psst," said Piper.

I looked over at her.

"Cancel your dinner plans and meet up with him instead," she said with a grin.