"Wait - the 'real one?'"

"She thinks that we exist in a novel," Connor said sarcastically, ignoring the fact that the sword had done nothing since its slight tremor.

"You do. It's called Star of Winter. I bought it three months ago and it's my favorite book."

The sword felt even more immobile than it had been. All of the color drained out of Azca's face and seemed to be transferred to Connor's.

"We're in a book," Azca breathed.

"She could just believe that. If she believes it, it's the truth to her, isn't it? And then the sword wouldn't move," Connor pointed out mulishly.

"No, the sword identifies what is the universal truth. It has special signals for unprovable things and opinions, and it hasn't shown either one. For just plain untruths, it does rather nasty things to the liar. If anything, that's the stillest I've seen it in years."

Connor cursed, running a hand through his hair. "You mean to tell me we're nothing but characters in a book? So we don't have control over anything we do?"

"Or maybe authors are actually just channelling real worlds!" Lilia exclaimed, and in her excitement it took her a second to notice the sword waving up and down.

"That's its opinions signal," Azca explained and she handed the sword back to him.

"Sorry."

"No, no, it's a legitimate theory. One that needs to be looked into." Azca's eyes gleamed at the prospect.

"Azca, pay attention! You're a character in a book. Everyone who reads it knows about you, about the sword, everything!"

"Not everything. He's not one of the main characters. You are."

Connor stared at Lilia, stopped in his tracks. "What?!"

"You and Theresa are the main characters. Well, really, you're more of a supporting character. Theresa's the real main character - but you're very important."

Connor ran another hand through his hair and stormed over to a cabinet in the back of the house. He slammed open its doors, took out a shot glass and a bottle of bright brown liquid, poured himself a shot, and downed it in one practiced movement. Then he ran the back of his hand over his mouth, took another shot, and returned to the living room with the bottle in tow.

"How does the book end?" Azca urged. To Connor, he said, "Once the books ends, I imagine we are free!"

"Unless we just die," Connor said darkly. He returned to the cabinet for another shot.

"That's the thing," Lilia said slowly.

"We die?" exclaimed Azca.

"No, no, no! The second book is still being written and seeing as I transported into the end of this book, I have no idea what's supposed to happen next. Only the author knows at this point. Oh, and since Theresa's dead, the story's probably taking its own path at this point."

"Theresa's dead?" Azca exclaimed.

"What did you tell him?" Lilia demanded as Connor returned. "Whatever it was, you left out all of the important bits!"

"Well, sorry," Connor said angrily. "When a strange girl claiming to be from the 'real world' is sitting in my house right after she basically killed my housemate, I kind of forget to be sensical!"

"You killed Theresa?" Azca's incredulous voice rose to even higher volumes.

"Shut up!" Lilia and Connor chorused, turning on him. He flinched and drew back into himself.