A Step To Telepathy (ON HOLD)

Start from the beginning

"We're almost there. Only another block or so and we'll be there," he said. "So, what are you doing here in the city?" Rogan asks me. I looked at him again, realizing how cute he is. The way he walks is even cute. His shy saunter has a little bit of hop and swagger. 

"I'm just a boring art student, you?" I ask, even though I think I know the answer. 

"Well, I was actually born and raised here. My parents are from the Upper East Side, all fancy and shit. I moved out the day I turned eighteen. That was almost two years ago. I just don't fit in with my family. At all," he said, looking down. "Now I'm just trying to get my band somewhere."

"You can do it, I promise!" I tried to cheer him up, and he hugged me. It was amazing, like electricity. He touched me and it was if all else had disappeared. The busy streets, the people, the authentic Chinese vendor beside us; they were all gone. Still embraced in our hug we stared at each other. Then I let go. Why? I'm not sure. I looked down.

"I'm sorry... that was innapropriate," he stuttered. 

"No, no. It was great. I don't know..." I looked away. We walked another block and stopped at a small shop, with a sign reading Jack's Java.

"This is your favorite coffee shop? This is MY favorite coffee shop!" 

"No way! This is nuts," He said. We started laughing. I mean, what are the chances. This has got to be one of the smallest shops in NYC, and we both come here. I grabbed his hand and we skipped inside.  Inside the door I stopped and closed my eyes. I took in the deep scent of fresh ground coffee and pastries. I heard a song by Bon Iver playing melodically. I opened my eyes to see the familiar wicker tables and chairs clashing against the wooden walls. I see some people that I recognize, all happy. We walk up to the counter.

"Alice! Rogan! I missed you guys! I didn't know that you two know each other. You are so cute together!" said Jack, who apparently is good friends with us both. 

"Oh, uh, we aren't, um, together," we both stuttered out. I felt myself blushing. 

"Oh be quiet, Jack knows," our friend said with a wink. "Will it be the usual for you both?" We both nod our heads and Jack goes to work behind the counter. 

"What's you're usual?" Rogan asks me. 

"Typical black, with a hint of mint or green tea," I reply. 

"You have got to be kidding me. That's what I get," he said back.

"Have you two finally figured out that you're soul mates?" asks Jack. "You are the only two people in the world that order this blend. I swear you're meant to be!" He hands us our coffee and gave him seven dollars. Two per cup of coffee, and a three dollar tip. We found a two seating table in the corner of the small shop. When we sat down I looked at everyone else.We fit in perfectly with all the other couples. Rogan's attire went right along with the other guys'. I looked like one of the girls with my long, straight brown hair and bangs. I wore prescription black horn-rimmed glasses, a pair of cut-off jean shorts with yellow tights underneath, and a flowing floral shirt. 

"So, your band. What are you?" I ask Rogan.

"Five guys, just trying to be known," he replies. "Obviously you know our name. We have myself on acoustic guitar and lead vocals, Avery on  keyboard and back up vocals, and Crispin on drums and unclean vocals when they're needed. We also have Asher on bass and whatever we tell him to do. Our electric is usually me, unless I'm busy on acoustic. Then it's Job. We're all really close. We met at an indie concert, actually. Avery is the only other guy from the city. Asher is Australian, Crispin is from Minnesota, and Job was a live-everywhere military brat," he explained. "We even share an apartment."