Chapter Ten

“One, two, three…”

“Sikowtiz!” Tori shouted. The man jumped. “You’ve counted us over three times now!” The group was gathered at the airport, ready to board their plane to Yerba. It was 6 in the morning and everyone was grumbling and walking around like the zombie plague had just become a problem.

“Why did I decide to come to this again?” Jade groaned as they lined up to security.

“You didn’t bring your scissors did you?” Andre asked eyeing the metal detector worriedly.

“Do you think I’m stupid?” Jade growled. Andre put his hands up in surrender.

“Someone’s in a bad mood,” he muttered to Cat who just giggled and twirled her hair around her finger. Tori was at the back of the line and she cast her mind to last night after the phone call from Festus’s brother. She almost laughed at how panicked she was and the complete blur after, packing luggage and calling up her friends.

“There better be hot chicks at this place,” the annoying voice of Rex brought her out of her reverie and she looked up just in time to see Jade grab Rex off of Robbie’s hand and throw him somewhere into the airport. Robbie shrieked.

“Rex!” he jumped over the rope barrier and ran faster than Tori had ever seen him move to retrieve his puppet.

“Why did you do that?” Tori asked Jade who glared at her.

“Because he was annoying, that’s why.” Tori sighed and rolled her eyes.

“Now, now children,” Sikowitz scolded, stroking his beard. Robbie managed to get Rex back and tried to cut the queue much to the annoyance of other people in the line. They passed through security successfully and boarded the plane. Tori was looking at the seat number on her ticket and when she finally found it she mentally groaned. Jade was sitting in the window seat. The minute their eyes met Tori’s heart beat wildly and her stomach turned to knots. There was no way she was sitting next to Jade for ten hours straight.

“Vega-” Jade began but Tori just dropped her carry-on bag and rushed over to where Andre was sitting two rows back.

“What’s wrong?” he asked seeing the terrified look on the brunette’s face.

“I have to sit next to Jade for the next ten hours.”

“Crap,” Andre said. “Do you want to swap seats?” Tori bit her lip and glanced over at Jade who had put her earphones in. She looked vaguely sad.

“No,” Tori decided. “I’ve got to get over this.” Andre smiled.

“There’s the Tori I know.”

“Please be seated,” the voice of the pilot came over the speakers. “We will be taking off in five minutes.” Tori turned to Andre and was about to say something when Cat came bounding out of the toilets and sat herself down next to Andre. Tori smirked.

“Hey little red,” Andre said. He didn’t sound at all happy to be sitting next to the hyper girl for ten hours.

“Have fun you two!” Tori said laughing to herself and made her way back to Jade. The fact that Andre had to sit next to Cat made her feel slightly better knowing that she wouldn’t be the only one suffering. Cat was a lovely girl, but to sit next to her for ten hours? No thank you. When Tori approached the seats, Jade didn’t even acknowledge her presence, just looked out the small window with both earphones in her ears. Tori was both relieved and offended by the action but she took a seat down gingerly and faced forward, letting out a long breath.

The plane started its run down the runway and before she knew it, they were in the air and on their way to Yerba. When the ‘no seatbelt’ sign came on, she took the chance to glance at Jade. She was still staring out of the window but her hand was tapping against her leg, almost like a nervous twitch. Tori wondered if she was afraid of flying.