08 ~ research

It was late at night and Anna had finished studying for her biology exam the next day. She was sat at her desk in the corner of her room, her revision notes strewn around the table messily. The only sources of light came from the window in front of her which overlooked the road and the screen of her laptop, which she was currently using.

Everybody was asleep, leaving Anna with the freedom to research whatever she wanted.

She had several tabs open, all with countless amounts of weight loss exercises and diets. Anna was overwhelmed by the sheer number of pages.

Annabelle scrolled through one page which had caught her eye, with a long list of smoothies for detoxification. Anna could feel hope grow within her as her eyes scanned the recipes greedily.

Hurriedly Anna grabbed her notebook and pen on her desk and began to scribble down a list of ingredients for different smoothies.

Carrots, apples, cucumbers, lime, kale and pineapple,’ she began to note down.

She paused as she read the list again, lightly massaging her [collarbones].

It wasn’t possible.

She should have known it was unrealistic. There was no way for Anna to ask her mother to buy her all these ingredients without her mother getting suspicious, and she didn’t think she could take another person pestering her constantly.

She looked at all of her revision notes, realisation washing over.

She didn’t have time. Annabelle had exams, exams which would decide her future, and she just didn’t have the time to obsess over which foods she ate and so forth. She needed to focus on her exams.

So she took the easy option.

Picking up the pen once more, Annabelle lifted it to the paper, crossing out what she’d previously written before writing something else down.

She shut down her computer and went to bed, her notebook open.

The light from her window illuminated the words.

“Eat less.”