Shaken Up

Heyyo :) Decided to write something while procrastinating. This is gonna be AU and chaptered, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to continue it. (I'm not even done with the previous chaptered one?) 

Liam and Niall - 37
Louis - 18
Zayn - 17
Harry - 13

*TW: anxiety / panic attacks

--- 

It was a busy day in the Payne household. The center had called them up a couple of days ago asking if they could foster another kid for a while, at least until they found a new family for him. Liam and Niall were used to this; a lot of kids came and went for that particular reason too. In fact that was how they came to have their 2 kids: Louis and Zayn. The two had been in the system for quite some time before they crossed paths with Liam and Niall, and needless to say everything was set in stone from then on.

Even though this was there nth foster child already, Liam and Niall still couldn't help but feel excited, both for them and the child. They knew it probably wouldn't be permanent with them--only until they could find a family for the kid, but they still want to give him as much love and care as they could give.

"What time is the new kid coming?" Zayn asked from where he was sitting at the dining table. It was only 9am but his parents have been up for a while now preparing for their new arrival. 

"Around lunch time." Liam replied as he sat down first to take a few breaths. He and Niall had been up pretty early. They told themselves it was to prepare the house for the new kid, but in reality they've both just been too excited and nervous.

"How long is he staying with us?" Zayn asked. Most of the kids that came by were a little too loud for Zayn's liking, but he liked maybe a handful of them at least.

"I'm not sure, Zayn." Liam admitted. He and Niall had talked about the arrangement the night before and still had concerns about the boy since they didn't know as much about the boy as they had the others. All they knew was that his name was Harry and that he just turned 13 last month. 

Zayn shrugged and just brushed it off; he figured he'll find out eventually. "I'm heading up to my room first." Zayn said as he finished his breakfast. He'd wanted to go out today but both his dads wanted him to stay in and meet the new kid, so he was stuck at home. He would at least kill time until the new kid--Harry, if Zayn remembered correctly, arrived. 

The rest of the morning was a bit hectic, but Niall and Liam managed to get through it. It was around quarter 'til noon when they heard their doorbell ring.

"I got it." Niall immediately said when he heard the doorbell ring. "Can you call Louis and Zayn?" He asked his husband, to which Liam nodded in response to. 

When Niall opened the door, he was greeted by Gemma--the social worker they've eventually gotten close to, and a small child who looked no older than 11, but he was pretty sure that this was Harry. 

"Good morning Gemma," Niall smiled. "and hello, you must be Harry?" Niall greeted the little boy. 

Gemma smiled at Niall before looking down at Harry. "C'mon Harry, don't be shy." She gently ushered.

"Hello..." Harry said in a small voice, making eye contact for probably a second before looking back down. Niall just smiled in response and didn't think too much about the shyness anymore because he and Liam were pretty used to it by now. He then led the two into the living room where Liam was already waiting with Louis and Zayn. When Louis and Zayn saw Harry, they just smiled and waved at him. 

"I thought dad said he was 13?" Zayn whispered to Louis in confusion, but Louis just elbowed his brother good-naturedly.

"Louis, Zayn, why don't you show Harry around upstairs?" Niall told his sons so they could talk to the social worker. When Harry heard that, he nervously looked at Gemma who just gave her a reassuring smile. "It's alright, go on." She encouraged the young boy. Harry sighed, but timidly followed the two boys upstairs, feeling wary about both of them--about the entire situation, exactly. He'd been in the system for way too long and he was just getting more and more dejected as he was transferred from one family to another.