Chapter 26

*MACIE'S POV*

The next day, I stood alongside my aunt, uncle and brother at the international departure entrance of the airport. Calum stood in front of me, playing with my hands and my hair, biting his lip as we held our eye contact. Liz was helping the other boys with their guitar cases and additional suitcases. I looked into Calum's eyes, silently pleading for him to stay with me. Luke, Michael and Ashton pulled me into a group hug and said good bye. After which, they threw me out of the circle and welcomed in Steven and then they did a weird game related handshake. The three of them headed onto the plane, allowing Cal to wait as long as he could. Finally the announcement for any last calls was made. 

"I have to go babe, it's almost Christmas, you know that," he sighed.

I nodded, "I know it's just so far."

He hung his head, his hands squeezing mine. When he looked up again I had craned my neck so that my face was in his. His one hand moved up and held my face. I tried to hold back my tears but it proved to be impossible as one raced down my face. 

"Please don't cry," he begged, wiping the tear away with his thumb.

I tried to nod my head but the slightest movement made the tear restraining so much more difficult. I could feel my face turning red as I tried to hold it all back. Suddenly my face was burried into Calum's chest and his arms were wrapped around me. 

"I promise, I'll be back before you know it," he whispered into my hair. 

I looked up at him and pushed onto my tiptoes. My arms wrapped around his neck and I pressed my lips to his, savoring the moment. His arms tightened their grasp around me and he picked me up, spinning me around. I started laughing and rested my forehead against his. He stopped spinning and held me above him so that I could lean down and press one last kiss to his mouth. 

"I'll see you soon," I whispered. 

"I'll see you soon babe," he replied. 

And with that I handed him his backpack. He grabbed his suitcase and walked towards the gate. After his ticket was scanned he looked back one more time and waved. I braved myself and put on a smile and waved back. He'd be back in January, I knew that, but still it felt so far away. After he turned to walk down to the plane, I turned to my family.

"Let's go home guys," I begged, not wishing to spend anymore time around the airport. Aunt Sue frowned and took my hand, rubbing circles on the top of it with her thumb.

"Don't worry girl, he'll be back soon." I nodded and started walking through the airport, with my aunt in tow. 

- - - - - - - - -

We finally got home and I returned to my room, eager to go to sleep and try to ignore the empty feeling inside of me. I didn't wake up until the next day for school. I had taken off two days while Calum and the boys had been here and had tons of make up work. I spent most of the week catching up. Once I did, however I just managed to fall back behind. School just seemed so pointless. Everyday I walked in and did the same thing I had done the day before. Aly, who at first had pressed for every inch of details about Calum's stay, had eventually given up on getting me to talk about it and had moved onto a new group of friends. Wow some friend you are, I found myself often thinking.

A few times in the weeks leading up to Christmas I had teachers pull me aside and ask if everything was okay. They all seemed genuinely worried about my recent and drastic collapse academically. But whoever asked, I always gave the same answer. I was tired and hadn't been feeling well at all. Most gave me sympathetic glances or assured me that getting back on track would be the most beneficial to my life but I ignored most of them. 

A week before Christmas, he called me. He was to be going on a roadtrip with a couple of friends soon and he promised that he'd skype me before he left incase he didn't have wifi on his holiday. It wasn't that we had been talking everyday, we had, I almost got my phone taken away in school because of the time differences. But nothing matched the feeling to seeing his face and hearing his voice at the same time. We set up our skype date and then he decided to go to sleep.

After our call, I went downstairs to see Aunt Sue. 

"How are you feeling, hon?" She asked me, shrugging.

I returned the gesture, "Not too hot."

She nodded, "I know, but this is all a part of distance, soon you'll get used to it."

That's when it hit me. I shook my head, trying to fight back tears, "I don't want to get used to it," I whispered back to her. 

"Aw baby," she mouthed, walking towards me and pulling me into a hug. "It's only a few more weeks." 

I nodded into her chest and then turned to go back upstairs. When I got up there, I noticed my phone had blown up. I smiled and looked at it expecting to see a message from Calum, however I was deeply disappointed. I was almost reduced to tears yet again.

In big red letters, same as the rock from the night in the tower read a message, "THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING."

I locked my phone and sank to the ground. Suddenly I felt over heated, I could hear my heartbeat in my ears. Why me? Why wasn't this done with? My breathing sped up and all I wanted was to die, I wanted to get away from all of this. I wanted to see Calum and to have him wrap his arms around me and tell me that everything would be okay. But none of that could happen because every time something good happened, something bad had to come out of nowhere and destroy it. That's just the way my life worked. 

(AN: SHORT FILLER CHAPTER. i hate writing when they're not together :((( anyway sorry for the delay, this story is almost at it's end, there's not many ways to go with it after what i have planned. but never fear, my ashton one is going to be pretty cool. im excited to start it. okay the end, dont forget to vote and comment, especially since this chapter is bull, okay bye. -em))