5. Rocky

Sang

When Victor eventually caught up with us at the food court he didn't have any bags with him. "You didn't find anything you liked?" I asked, nibbling on a french fry. Gabe and I had decided on burgers since they were easy — even though he refused to let me pay for my own. I don't know how I was ever going to repay any of the guys for these small kindnesses.

Victor shook his head, taking the seat beside me. I offered him my fries and he reached for one with a small smile. "I realized I forgot the cardinal rule of shopping," he explained.

"What?"

"Don't try it without Gabe," he replied, winking at our fashion guru.

"Yeah well, you're as stubborn as North sometimes so I thought I'd let you try it out," Gabe said wryly.

"We're also gonna have to cut this short," Vic continued. "I know, we're not through the stages," he added, anticipating Gabe's rebuttal. They shared one of those looks again and Gabe just sighed loudly.

"Is everything ok?" I asked, glancing between the two of them. Was it another Academy thing? And then I couldn't help but think about the emergency line, wondering if Jess and Erica really were ok. It'd seemed like forever since I'd had a heart to heart with Erica especially, and I wasn't sure how much truth I'd be able to divulge when we did get a chance to check in now that I thought about it. I mean, how could I tell her that time seemed to work differently when I was with the guys? That there were more butterflies than I'd ever felt before?

It wasn't normal, I knew that much. These were feelings I'd have to sort through on my own.

"Everything's fine, Princess," Victor murmured, covering my hand with his own before meeting Gabe's gaze again. "It's just an Academy thing."

Gabe was clearly annoyed, but he huffed his agreement as he downed his soda. "But we're going to finish this," he said, eyeing me seriously. "I've barely started with you, Trouble," he added, causing that weird anticipatory feeling to slide through me again.

A few minutes later we'd finished eating. I'd let Victor have the rest of my fries since we hadn't gotten him anything, thinking he wouldn't want a cold hamburger. "If you guys need to drop me off, I have a key now," I reminded. I double checked then that the key was still secure in my jean shorts pocket. I really needed to get a key ring or something.

Victor smiled and shook his head. "I've been informed your presence is requested at Bob's," he replied.

I grinned. Bob's was the diner that North and Luke's uncle owned and its grand opening was this upcoming weekend. I'd been inside a few times over the past couple weeks, but yesterday Luke had said its metamorphosis was complete. He wanted me to check it out so he could give me the grand tour, and I'd bet anything him and North were there today. Even though I'd just seen them yesterday, I was excited at the thought of seeing them again so soon.

"Ok. And maybe Uncle can make you a sandwich or something before you have to go?" I asked, feeling guilty. "Or I can make you—"

"Trouble, don't worry about feeding Victor," Gabe interrupted, rolling his eyes playfully. "I'll be back," he said, glancing at Victor.

Vic met my gaze and smiled before tilting his head, considering. "Princess, do you um... need to..."

I wasn't sure what he was trying to ask until I realized Gabe was headed to the restroom. I smiled. "Good idea," I said, feigning nonchalance that for once seemed to be working. We agreed to meet back by the fountain at the front of the food court before I headed toward the women's restroom, finding it mostly empty.