History

"So, how did you meet Sangwoo?"
She walked alongside me at a slow, steady pace as we made our way back to the house, where she would lose her miserable life. Her shoulders hung low, a black strap surrounding them on either side, a backpack draped behind her. She turned to me, lowering one arm and allowing a strap to fall down it.
"In tenth grade. He joined the class a bit late, but we were sat beside each other all year. I guess along the way we.. got to know one another." Her voice was giddy, like a child at an amusement park.
She zipped her bag open and her hand disappeared inside it.
"I just got in touch with Sangwoo recently," I said, watching her pull out a small package of strip gum, spearmint flavor. Why did she need nice breath?
"Oh? You're his cousin right?" She pulled a piece of gum and threw it in her large mouth, gesturing the pack to me, "want one?" She asked. I smiled and gingerly, reaching for a piece.
"Yeah, on his mother's side," I said, pulling gum from between my teeth with my tongue. The mint was sweet, a flavor I hardly knew. She was kind. And for a moment, I had the thought to tell her to leave, save herself. But I knew what would happen to me if I did.
Minas eyes dropped, "I never got the chance to meet his mom. He always went on and on about her."
"I didn't know her much either." Our eyes met, I blinked and turned away. She seemed so apologetic, a sincere concern. It's too late to be having second thoughts. Sangwoo was only feet behind us, stalking our path in the dark.
"After his parents died he became a lot more distant, he hardly talked to anyone, he was always buried in notebooks and music," she smiled, "he still talked to me though. It made me feel special," her hand lifted to her chest, "after high school he stopped talking to me all together, I figured he just wanted to moved on."
I huffed, "he uh- wanted to erase his past and everything in it," I looked behind me, watching a large figure disappear behind a parked vehicle, "but he can't. I think he's realized that now."
It was so strange, to say what I wanted to say. For him to be so close to my honest words, could he hear me?
"Well, if I lost my parents I think I'd change a lot to, who wouldn't?"
I was reminded of my mother and father. If they were still around, how different would I be?
I lifted my eyes and spotted the turn to Sangwoos house, I pointed to it and we both picked up our pace.
"I was only here once. I'm surprised he hasn't moved, it's been years."
I nodded in agreement.
We walked around the corner, the front walk came into view, seemingly shining under the moonlight.
It was only seconds until we were faced with the tall brown fence. I reached over, standing on my tip toes and unlocking it, pushing it forward into the small yard.
Mina skidded past me and ran up the steps, waiting excitedly. I strode up beside her, reaching for the number lock, entering the 5 digit combination I learned months prior. The door creaked open, it was darker than it was outside, the air thicker.
I walked in, she followed closely, her eyes wandering the house. She took a step forward and I went to close the door, looking back outside before it shut. There he stood, like a shadow, completely still.
I warily shut the door, not moving my eyes off him until I no longer could. I glanced down, removing my shoes with my feet. I saw a black pair of flats next to me, they were worn out, the soles ragged. Why doesn't she get new shoes?
"Jinho, I really appreciate you doing this." I had completely forgotten I made a fake name, I'm even more surprised she remembered it.
"To be honest, this is more for Sangwoo than anything." She looked at me and smiled, "well, that's understandable. You're his cousin after all." She stood outside the bedroom, peering in. I watched her eyebrows raise in concern, but she turned towards the kitchen and kept walking. I traced behind her and glanced at the room, there on the floor, leaking from the closet, were the cuffs accustomed perfectly to fit my thin ankles snuggly. I stared back to her, wondering why she didn't question it. She saw them, right?
Mina had seated herself at the table, she sat with her legs crossed on Sangwoos chair. I gulped. If he saw, he'd be angry. "When's he coming back, do you know?"
"Soon." I said, leaning on the wall.
Sure enough, the front door creaked open again, I turned my head down the hall and saw him drag his large body into the house. Mina gasped and very quickly stood from the table and ran towards the doorframe.
"Sangwoo!?" She called, smiling widely. The door shut and he looked up, a broad smirk lay on his face.
"Mina?" He asked, removing his shoes, "w-what brings you here?"
She giggled, "your cousin! He said I could come visit, I met him back at the club."
Sangwoo stood up, and took at step into the house. He opened his arms as he lost his footing and fell into the wall, laughing hysterically, my brows raised. Was he ok?
"Sorry sorry.. I just.. I'm amazed I made it home!"
"Oh! Were you drinking?" The girl asked, stepping towards his stumbling figure, I eyed them closely. Her feet dragged closer and closer to him, until she was only a foot away. His head was down between his legs, she went to put her hand on his shoulder.
"Sangwoo? Are you okay?"
Before she could touch him he arm snapped up and he gripped her shaking wrist. She gasped and tried to pull away, but his grip, the hold I knew all too well, wouldn't let go.
"Hey! That hurts let go!"
I crept into the hall, peering down on the two, a small smile started to form on my face.
Sangwoo stood up, his physique overpowering her, she struggled to free herself.
"Sangwoo!" She must have felt me drawing closer, her head shot around, "Jinho! What's he doing?"
I opened my eyes and frowned at her, "stop calling me that. That's not my name."
She lowered her brows, huffing, "what?"
"My name isn't Jinho! I hate that name! It's Yoonbum!"
Her voice cracked, "but you told me-"
"And you believed me!"
Sangwoos free hand reached around her and he pulled her hair down, her head shot back and she screamed, her noise pierced my ears.
"Shut up." He said, moving slightly to the side and pulling back her head, quickly slamming it into wall. I heard a crack, and saw there was a small fracture on the walls surface.
Sangwoo noticed it to, Mina fell quiet.
"Shit," he said, turning to me, "Bum, do me a favor and take her downstairs." He loosened his grip and her limp body fell intensely to the floor. I looked at her, and then down at myself.
"I don't think I can," I mumbled.
I felt his eyes on me, "you're gonna have to," he stepped towards me, his sweaty hands fell on my cheeks, my head lifted, we stared at one another.
"For me?" He kissed my nose, smiled and stepped around me, disappearing into the kitchen.
I bent down and grabbed her arms, hoisting them up and inching my way to the bedroom. She felt so heavy, my muscles were shaking. I dragged her in front of the closet, letting her arms go and opened the door.
The trap to the basement was already swung open, and as I stared down the never ending staircase, and back to her, there was a knock heard from the front door.
My head snapped to the hallway, and I saw Sangwoo step in front of the room hurriedly, he looked at me, his eyes wide.
"Push her down," he said, disappearing from sight. I didn't even think before my arms grabbed her and forced her down the stairs, banging obnoxiously. Who was at the door?
I walked partway down the stairs and reached for the hatch, shutting it behind me as I went down. It was pitch black, I stood in the centre of the room, listening intently. The door opened, two pairs of footsteps.
For minutes they were silent, that was until I heard them from right outside the hatch. What was happening?
Light filled the basement as the trap opened, I squinted my eyes.
It was then a man came tumbling down the steps, crashing into the ground.
Sangwoo ran down after, closing the trap.
It grew pitch black once again, and through the darkness, an unrecognizable hand wrapped around my ankle.