I felt slightly awkward so I went to my cubby and placed my math book and copybook there. When I was about to stand up, I noticed someone’s arms above me, taking out a red copybook from the cubby above mine.

I tilted my head to see who it was and to my surprise, it was Alex. I stared at him for a while, unable to take my eyes off him. He was hotter than he was two years ago with his slightly taller black hair. He was taller and more muscular but his beautiful blue eyes were still the same color.

When he took out his copybook, he removed his hands and looked down at me. I quickly noticed that his eyes weren’t as friendly as they were years ago. They seemed more blank and cold. I felt disappointed because the warmth that used to be in his eyes used to make me feel better every time I looked at him.

“Alex,” I breathed out and I suddenly felt guiltier than ever. I remembered what I did to him two years ago and cringed. I can’t believe how much of a bitch I was. I lowered my gaze and focused on the tiled floor, not wanting him too see all that I was feeling now. I guess I’m still as vulnerable as I used to be with only him around.

“Hailey,” he replied after a while in a neutral tone and my heart skipped a beat. I wasn’t sure if it was because of hearing him say my name again, or surprise because I wasn’t really expecting him to reply.

“How are you?” I asked when I finally got the courage to look up at him.

“Why are you here?” he asked, cutting to the chase.

I opened and closed my mouth a few times, still surprised by his question. I stood up to face him and played with my hands.

“Because the Walkers enrolled me here,” I said, avoiding the real question.

“Don’t be smart with me, Hailey. Why did you move here?”

“Don’t worry, Alex. I didn’t move here because of you. I didn’t know you went to school here,” I replied making my voice blank. It sort of reminded me of myself a few years back when I used to humiliate every person who is not really ‘popular’ as my so called friends would’ve put it.

“Good because you better stay the hell away from me, Hailey Tucker. I’ve made a mistake of liking you once and I’m not doing it again,” he said coldly making me flinch.

I didn’t know what to say. He had every right to hate me after what I did to him. I just wished we could start over.

I nodded my head, looking down, and whispered, “I’m sorry.”

He either didn’t hear me or decided to ignore me.

Suddenly, someone wrapped his arm around my shoulder and when I looked up I saw Chase smiling at me.

“I see you’ve met Alex,” Chase said then he averted his attention to Alex.