The Bromance & Water Vessels

~ The Bromance & Water Vessels ~

~ ( s ) ( s ) ( s ) ~

It was a battle like no other. There was no way to stop what had already begun. The suspense was thick in the air as we awaited the end. Who would be the victor? Who would hang his head in shame and embarrassment at his own crushing defeat?

The staredown lasted approximately thirty-two seconds.

Ian cursed at the nonexistent lash in his eye, rubbing furiously at it.

One side of Wesley's mouth lifted in a victorious smirk as he relaxed his shoulders and uncrossed his arms.

"Wesley."

"Ian."

The rematch started as they shook hands, unblinking when their grips simultaneously tightened.

"Are you going to do something about them?" My best friend muttered her question to me while we watched the drama unfold, which was more like Ian's attempt at being civil and Wesley enjoying it far too much.

I shrugged. "They do this every time they see each other. I think it's their own unique way of saying 'Hi.'"

Ferra rolled her eyes and raised her hand to karate chop their outstretched arms. They winced, massaging the areas that would surely be bruised by the end of the day.

"This is too much testosterone for my liking, so enough with your caveman ways." Her nose wrinkled before she addressed Ian. "You are in his territory today, so behave yourself." Then she urged me forward and shoved past them to clear a path into Wesley's house.

With Ian's reluctance to cross enemy lines, they followed us into the living room. Ferra put her backpack on the floor by the entertainment center. She unzipped it and retrieved the cords for the game system she brought along. Wesley helped her hook it up to the television while Ian and I made ourselves comfortable on the couch. I claimed my spot and Wesley's to ensure our seats were together without a big oaf between us.

Ferra and Ian both wanted to see Wesley again, though I had my doubts about their motives. I warned them to be on their best behavior, which they accepted on one condition; they could show Wesley his character in the fighting game. And the fine print-- neglected to be mentioned until after I went along with it --was that they would get to wipe the floor with him. In the game, of course.

"I think I'm flattered," Wes said, looking at his animated image.

"Are you? This character is only for playing Whack-A-Nerd. You should be offended," Ian pushed, wanting Wesley to be upset about it.

"I'm sure he deserved it," he said, referring to himself. His remorse softened Ian's resolve just a smidge.

He muttered halfheartedly, "As soon as I can afford the shipping, you're gone."

Wesley and I shared a smile as we thought back to our not-date when Ian threatened him for the first time. It was a step up from no box or packing material, so Ian didn't totally hate him anymore. I just hoped Wes could win him over before my brother had a box big enough and the funds to follow through with the overnight shipment.

"So. Does the nerd get to fight back now?" Wes asked, holding a hand out for one of the controllers. It was a peace offering and we watched to see if Ian would reject it.

"Let's see you try," he challenged, giving it to him and arming himself with the other one. Ian chose his own doppelganger with a giant mallet. The character was styled to wear a white muscle tee and jeans.