Rickola | Chapter Thirteen

© Katelyn Moore

No one was waiting for me when I entered the apartment. All the lights were off, and if I hadn’t lived here for so many years, I would have bumped into something. But I didn’t. I tiptoed down the hall, praying my footsteps on the wooden floor didn’t wake anyone.

I was expecting mum to be waiting up for me, but was pleasantly surprised when I walked by her closed bedroom door. She was trusting me with a lot lately.

There was a shuffling sound and a flickering shadow under the door as I passed Bianca’s room. She was waiting for me, I had no doubts, but her door stayed closed. Mum spoke to her, told her not to be nosy and to leave me alone. Thank god for that. I wanted to be alone.

I wanted to go over every little moment of tonight.

I wanted to feel Rick’s hand in mine.

I wanted to taste his lips over and over again.

And I did. After changing into some comfortable pyjamas, I rested against my pillow. Lying down never felt so good. The weight may have been off my feet, but my night wasn’t over. Far from it.

Forget being a pathetic fan girl; I was way past that. I was falling for Rick Avery. Hard. So hard that I couldn’t sleep. When it came to Rick, my sleeping habits suffered. But it was worth it. He was worth it.

Rick Avery kissed me. Every girl dreams of falling for a Hollywood heartthrob, and for me, it’s quickly becoming a reality.

I woke up at five in the morning feeling like crap. My room was still dark so I slumped back against my pillow, needing a few extra hours of sleep. This time, it came instantaneously. There was no daydreaming or recounts of last night. My newly found insomnia had caught up with me, so much so that I slept in.

“You getting up any time today?” Bianca moaned, sitting down at the end of my bed. She grabbed a hold of my ankle and shook it until I groaned.

“Go away.”

“Not until you tell me about last night.”

Ugh! What didn’t she understand about Mum’s orders? It wasn’t like I was going to tell her anything anyway. Mum made things easier by stepping in. If only Bianca recognised what that means.

I ignored her, rolling over to read the time on my clock. I sat up as soon as the blurry numbers sharpened, holding my head as the blood rushed and my grogginess faded.

Crap!

It was passed midday. I was running late.

“What?” Bianca demanded as I shot out of bed. I don’t think I’ve ever moved so fast, not for something like this. “Are you going to tell me who you went out with, or what?”

“No,” I said flatly.

“Are you going out with him again now?” She watched me eagerly as I ran around my room yanking clothes out of my dresser, looking for a nice pair of undies.

I didn’t have time for her drama. “Butt out, Bianca.”

“Why won’t you tell me? At least give me his name. Mum wouldn’t.”

“Because I don’t have to. And I know Mum told you to mind your own business, so do it.” Now she was just getting in the way. I had to wrestle her out of the door before I could get anywhere near the linen cupboard. As soon as I was able to grab a towel, I locked myself in the bathroom. I had lost more time by fighting with Bianca, and now I had to rush. I hated rushing.