Chapter 18: The Missing Link

It was the afternoon in reality. Arion was in school just learning in class but...several empty seats were present in the room...including the one behind him belonging to his best friend. The atmosphere was heavy as if the happiness had being somewhat dampened by the empty scenes. His classmates similar to him would double-take on the empty chairs expecting them to be filled but...were constantly reminded otherwise. The bell then rang signalling the end of the school day.

 Arion quietly packed his things and walked out of the school by himself towards the park. Arion sat alone on the park bench with only his thoughts for company. As he turned left Francis appeared with a cheesy grin "will you stop moping? Where's the normal get-up and go guy I know" but then he disappeared being no more than his imagination.

Arion just looked at the black paved ground "Francis...if only you were here. You just...slap me on the back and tell me to get on with it" he sighed and then found an ice-cream cone appear in-front of him. He looked up to see Claire

"here...my treat" Arion gave a small smile The two were eating their ice cream. under the cloudy sky. Claire looked at Arion "Arion...how are you doing? Or is that a daft question?"

"well...how are you doing?" asked Arion "Or...do I get the same answer" they both gave a small smile "My mother told me that Francis...has joined the most recent victims of the newly named...EGQ syndrome"

Claire looked down at the ground "many people didn't take the news seriously and...have only joined the ranks"

"I...almost joined them..." said Arion "if it wasn't for Francis...I'd be the one stuck in a hospital bed"

"then...you need to make sure his effort didn't go to waste" Arion nodded "you know...I would always tell Francis off for being noisy...and yet. It's almost peaceful without him"

"Claire...about Grand Quest...do you believe...it's real?" Claire reacted

 "where did...that one come from?" she asked

"Eternal Grand Quest is a video game I know that" said Arion "but yet...it's becoming just as real as this place. We're all bleeding and getting ill like we should. Zophia and Alise are as natural as you or I. Like as the world...is becoming real. Do you believe it's real?" Claire took a few moments

"that's...hard to answer"

Claire looked at the darkening sky "if you asked me a few days ago...I would have called you crazy. I still think it is crazy but...something is happening to it. The world is a video game...made by people. You look at the back of the box...and the credits will be there"

Claire stopped for a moment and stood up "but...my time in...Fantasia recently...has given me...doubts. Alise is as about as real as you or I. Not even the geek could tell me who she is. She...act's like no A.I I've ever seen. Alise takes her own initiative. Has memories and dreams...and genuine feelings, especially towards you" Arion nodded

"as I have feelings...for her" said Arion

"not just her but...Percival or Zophia is no longer the...basic boss she was"

"what do the knights actually do? In terms of programming?" asked Arion

Claire turned to Arion "The knights...followed a basic set of rules. Rule one" showing only her index finger "they only test challengers they believe have potential...and the other rule, rule two" showing two fingers "...to beat challengers"