.5

Friends?

Harry and Draco both took their seats next to each other at the kitchen table and began to take out their papers. Harry sighed and spoke up, "S-So, what should we uh do our project about?" he asked, fumbling with his pencil.

"I don't know how about we read the bloody rubric first," Draco scoffed putting said paper on top of everything.

"No need to get sarcastic already Malfoy, we haven't even started," Harry said trying to make the best out of the situation. Draco ignored him and continued to read the rubric.

"Lets see... we have to do something relating to density, any suggestions?" Draco stated flatly. Harry thought for a few moments before responding.

"We could uh, look on Google?" Harry said raising his voice at the end so it sounded like more of a question.

Draco was silent and Harry expected to feel like an idiot, but Draco's response surprised him. "Well Potter, I have to admit, that's the first good idea you've ever had," he chuckled a bit but tried to cover it up.

Harry didn't know what to say so he muttered a quick "thanks" before getting up to get a laptop. Maybe this wouldn't be as bad as he thought, and boy was he wrong. After looking on Google for about half an hour and bickering back and forth about which project do to the two boys finally came to a conclusion.

"I still think we should do the hook challenge one," Draco stated, crossing his arms and leaning back in his chair.

"For the last time Draco, that just sounds like we're hookers!" Harry exclaimed and he didn't even realize he'd used the other boy's first name.

Draco ignored it and groaned, "Snow globes are for children why would we do that for a project. We're mature high school students," he whined.

"Well only one of us is mature," Harry muttered. Draco sat up and turned towards the black haired boy.

"What did you just say?"

"I said, only one of us is mature," Harry responded confidently.

"Shut up."

"See, that right there is proof," Harry laughed.

"Really? Now you're laughing? Ugh you're such a prat," Draco backed down, slouching down in his chair. "Lets just start researching."

Harry smirked and reached his hands to the keyboard to type right as Draco did and their hands barely touched when a jolt of electricity went through both of their bodies. The boys both turned their heads and stared at each other before pulling their hands back to their selves. They averted their gazes and Draco coughed before speaking, "Uh, y-you go ahead, it's your computer."

Harry nodded and proceeded to type questions into Google while his heart was still beating at an extremely fast rate. "Uh, write that down," he pointed to a random sentence and Draco silently nodded and started to write in his notebook. Harry observed the way he twirled the pencil in between his slim white fingers before pressing it to the lined page. That was one of the many things he had observed about Draco that day. Harry was snapped out of his thoughts by a hand gripping his shoulder. He looked down and saw those fingers he had just been thinking about holding onto his shoulder.

"Are you okay Potter? You spaced out there," Draco asked, genuinely concerned.

"What? Oh y-yeah, just tired," Harry responded, trying to ignore the butterflies flying around inside him at the other boy's touch. Draco, although not completely convinced, nodded and removed his hand from Harry's shoulder. Harry felt a cool breeze on his now empty shoulder and missed the touch. He shook himself out of these sudden thoughts and went back to the research.

About twenty more minutes had passed and Harry heard a small growl come from his stomach. "Uh hey D-Draco," he risked, "would you like some food?"

"Of course I would, I thought you'd never offer," he smirked.

"Oh uh sorry about that I jus-"

"It's okay Potter, I was joking," Draco audibly laughed, not trying to hide it which once again made Harry's now empty stomach fill up with butterflies.

"There you go again, I never knew you were capable of making so many jokes," Harry acted surprised while trying to hold back a smile. Draco just rolled his eyes and stood up as Harry did. They both made their way over to the fridge and Harry opened it up and gestured towards it. "Have anything you want."

"Can I just make a salad?" Draco asked quietly.

"Really?" Draco nodded. "Go ahead nerd," Harry chuckled. Draco rolled his eyes once again but with a small smile this time.

Eventually they both finished up their snacks and sat back down to work for about 30 more minutes. Draco looked down at his watch and saw that it was about 5:30 and made an executive decision. "I think I need to go home now, my parents are pretty strict about curfews. Do you think you could give me a ride home since you know, you brought me here in the first place and I don't mean to sound-" Harry placed his hand on top of Draco's hand to stop his rambling and it indeed worked.

"Of course I can take you home now shut up," Harry smiled at Draco who was staring at their hands with wide eyes. Harry slowly removed his hand and started putting all of his things back into his backpack. Draco hesitated before doing the same.

They both headed out to Harry's car in silence and hopped in. Once again, right as Harry started the car Bastille started blasting. Draco smiled down at his lap and shook his head. He gave Harry the directions to his house and when they were a few blocks away he started talking a bit more.

"I can't believe we have 3 more weeks to finish this stupid project," Draco sighed. "That means I'll be stuck with you for that long, I don't know if I can handle that," he said dramatically.

"I could say the same, Ferret," Harry smiled.

"Oh really? Back to the nicknames, and I thought we were getting along!" Draco acted hurt.

"Maybe we'd get a long a bit better if you were nicer to my friends," Harry offered. Draco hesitated. He really wanted to be friends with Harry but he didn't know if he could resist the urge to make fun of his two best friends.

"But their so easy to make fun of, just like you," Draco grinned.

"Well I mean if you don't then I'll have to sabotage our project and I know how much you care about grades so..." Harry said deviously.

"Okay fine, Potter! Although you're gonna have to give me some room for mistakes, as I can just immediately start being all goody two-shoes and nice," Draco gave in, staring at the side of the other boy's face.

"Fine, it's a deal. Friends?" Harry asked as he pulled up into Draco's driveway.

"Yeah, friends," Draco agreed, shaking Harry's hand. Little did they know, that wouldn't last for long.