2

"W-Wait!" you exclaimed. 

He glanced over his shoulder. 

"Where are we going?" 

"To my palace," he said. "Come along." 

Just like that?

"What ever is the matter, dearie?" he asked, annoyance shooting through his tone like arrows. 

It seemed too easy. You were expecting to debate with him, to plead with him. You'd been prepared to beg for him to take you on as his pupil. Why wasn't he more opposed to the idea of mentoring you? Sure, the dagger was important, but he could do anything to you in order to get it back. 

"N-Nothing," you said quickly. You hurried to keep pace with him. 

He smirked. "You're wondering why I don't just... Magically take the dagger back." He used hand gestures to emphasize the word "magically". 

"S-Sorta. That's part of it, anyway." 

To your surprise, he walked slower to allow you to catch up with him. Your strides almost matched his as you fell into step a short distance behind him. 

"Let's just say that I'm a strong believer in education." 

"Dark Magic specifically, or...?" 

He eyed you. "You are a curious one." 

You weren't sure if that was a compliment or not, but either way, you didn't have a response. It appeared that he didn't have a way to continue the conversation either because he didn't say anything else. 

It occurred to you that the woods had gone silent - peaceful even. The villagers that you'd heard chasing you had stopped. Instead of heavy and looming, the air was refreshing and brought you a sense of hope. 

"The woods are quiet," he commented, clasping his hands behind his back. 

Your breath hitched. "How did you...?" 

His lips lifted in a wicked grin. "How did I what?"

"Y-You did some kind of... M-Mind reading magic thing," you said, fumbling for words.

"Not magic, dearie," he chided. "Just good at reading people." 

"You don't read someone's inner musings based on a walk in the woods," you argued, stepping quicker so you could walk next to him. 

"Of course I can. I'm Rumplestiltskin." 

"Your name doesn't change anything." 

"Yes, (Y/N), it does." 

You cocked your head in mock curiosity. "So you're saying that your name gives you the power to read minds." 

"I - N-No," he said quickly, glancing over at you. "I'm saying that there's more to a name than you obviously acknowledge." 

"Oh, that I acknowledge?" You scoffed. "Like what?" 

"A name is a bargaining chip," he said casually. "If someone knows your name... They have power over you." 

"What kind of power can a name hold?" 

He whirled in front of you suddenly, and the toes of your boots clicked against his as you forced yourself to a stop to avoid crashing into him. 

"Answer me this. If I were to kiss you, what would that mean to you?" 

The question caught you off guard. "I-I mean... I would wonder why. But I'd trust it was for a reason." 

He eyed you, and you wondered if you'd given the wrong answer. "And if you didn't know my name, what would that mean to you?" 

"Well, of course I know your name - you're Rumple - " 

"That's not the point!" 

"I would... Be confused, I guess," you said, "And probably also scared. I'd be scared. Why would a stranger kiss me?" 

He opened his mouth to say something but quickly stopped himself. "Precisely," he forced out. It was obviously not what he was going to say originally, but you didn't push it. Instead, he turned around and continued walking. 

You hurried to catch up, trailing behind him. You picked a couple of flowers as you went. "But just because you know someone's name doesn't mean you know them. It doesn't mean you trust them or would lay down your life for them." 

"It's a start to that." 

"I mean, take, for example, Robin Hood. I'd be scared if he kissed me, and I know his name."

"But what if he knew your name?" 

"So he'd be stalking me, too?" 

"No." 

"Then how would he know my name?" 

"(Y/N)!

"Well, that'll get me to shut up. I guess a name really does give you power, huh?" 

He groaned. "Such audacity." 

You smiled at him. He paused and stared back at you for a second, then rolled his eyes and continued walking. 

You stepped quicker to fall back into pace with him. A simper worked its way onto your lips. "Kiss me, huh?" 

"Just an example," he said, waving his hand to dismiss you. 

"Why that example?" 

He glanced at you sideways. "Easy for someone like you to understand." 

"Someone like me?" 

"Romantic fantasies." 

"You have a lot to learn about people who aren't you," you said. "Not everyone is concerned with romance." 

"But you are." 

"Is that the Rumplestiltskin mind magic speaking, or do you actually have a reason for believing that?" 

He sighed dramatically. "Is this what you're planning on putting me through?" 

"What?" 

"All these... Questions and such." He said it as if people rarely asked him questions. 

"Is it bad?" 

He was silent for a while. You thought he wasn't going to answer, and you assumed the answer was "yes". So you kept quiet. You'd have to get used to being quiet then - although it was the norm for you considering that your family didn't  associate with you and you didn't have many friends (all based on the widespread belief that you were a witch). But for a moment, you'd thought you could befriend Rumplestiltskin. The jesting banter seemed natural. No matter, you decided. As long as you were learning you could live without any kind of relationship. But then his words surprised you: 

"No. I suppose the questions are fine."