Chapter 32: The End

Scott's is practically wheezing as we get near the light

Scott's is practically wheezing as we get near the light. The ink is still falling and people are still dying. Just a few more steps and we're almost there! Felix and a couple of others stop. There's now a figure at the end of the tunnel. Whoever is standing there is blocking our way out. We're just a few feet away from the person now and I can finally see who it is.

Dexter.

"You can't leave!" Dexter yells.

Some adults and kids don't bother with his words. They try and get past him, but Dexter attacks them all with this impossible speed. Behind us, I can hear Ace and her words grow louder and get closer. Everyone who is with us stops when they know they can no longer pass Dexter without dying.

 Everyone who is with us stops when they know they can no longer pass Dexter without dying

"Dexter," Scott says. "Please let us go. If we die, you'll still be alone. Killing us won't make anything better."

Dexter just stares at us as Ace's words grow closer and the fire grows brighter. 

"Dexter!" Someone calls out. The person that yelled, walks past us now. I recognized her voice and now I can see who she is. It's my mother. She walks towards Dexter and he has his hands out like he's going to attack her.

"M-mom," I say, wanting her to come back.

She stops and faces me. "Hush," she says in a low voice then turns back and face him. "If they get out of here alive, you won't be alone again. You know why?"

"Why?" Dexter asks.

"Because you're not properly buried. No one here is. Everyone is just cemented together and no one is resting peacefully. We're going to get out of here and make sure you all have a proper burial so that you can be free."

Dexter stares at her and I'm waiting for the second the attacks because it looks like he is about to. "No one cares about us!" Dexter shouts. "Everyone here will go home and live their lives. I know they don't care...and neither do you!" He grabs my mother by her head and snaps it right off then stares at us.

The fire behind us is nearly blinding me from its bright light and I can feel the intense heat. Ace is behind us and she's bigger than she had been. There are hands and feet kicking and reaching out of her glob body that is on fire. Her face sill resembles a human but her body is a swollen mess of thick black ink. Screams are coming from her body and it looks like hell itself, only in a human form.