t w e l v e

- 2 years ago (flashback)

"I'm really nervous Keana. What if people find out?" Lauren asked, gazing to her friend who was in the drivers seat of the car. She nervously flicked her hair over to the other side of her face as she waited expectantly for the brunettes girls reply.

A few days ago, it took all of her courage, but Lauren finally came out to her best friend, Keana. She cried, scared of what the other girls reaction would be but Keana barely even reacted, she only hugged her and told her 'I know, it's okay.'

Lauren knew that she was gay for a while but she just didn't know how exactly to come out, and who to either. When she finally told Keana, she felt a weight being completely lifted from her shoulders and it felt good; no more questions about boys or whatever.

Lauren had never dated a girl, she had found herself liking a few of them though. When she was young, she told herself that she wanted to be their best friend or their sister, which wasn't entirely true. It was only as she got older that she realised how she truly felt.

"Don't worry Lauren." Keana turned her head momentarily, taking her eyes off the road to smile at her best friend, "I won't let anyone judge you, you'll always have me by your side."

Lauren exhaled sharply, shrinking down in the passenger seat as they neared the entrance to their high school. "Thank you Keana." She gulped, not at all prepared for the new school year. New faces, new classes.

The brunette, who was beginning to park up in the school car park, smiled genuinely. Once the car was still, Keana undone her seatbelt, pushed her chair back and looked at a frightened Lauren. She giggled, "relax Laur, it's not like you've moved schools, it's just a new year."

"But it's a new me, the real me and I'm afraid I won't fit in." Lauren gulped, gazing down at her arm, at the one small tattoo (her first) that she got a few days ago on her wrist, 'XXVII'.

"Screw that. Be yourself, you're amazing. People will like you for you, just stay true to yourself." Keana met Lauren's emerald eyes, "and if they don't, you'll always have me." She made a clicking noise with her teeth and winked. Lauren couldn't help but laugh in response. Keana was right.

"Yeah. Let's go." Lauren nodded gently, a smile colouring her face as Keana unlocked their doors.

- end of flashback.

It was a hot Saturday morning in Miami. Camila decided that it was too hot to stay inside and write her song all day so she made the decision to go out, to Starbucks.

She strode down the crowded streets, her phone in her hand as her hair flew freely behind her. She was wearing white ripped jeans and a white crop top with a loose black blazer over it.

Dinah was busy, some sort of a family crisis, and Camila didn't want to bother either Normani or Ally, so she just planned to go on her own. She had her white earphones in with quiet music blaring from the small speakers. A slight smile crept onto her face as she watched the world unfold in front of her.

The warmth and the sun just made her happy, made her grin subconsciously.

As she reached Starbucks, she noticed that it was quite busy, not dramatically, but there were still a few people inside and queuing. Camila gazed down at her phone for a second, turning off her music before continuing. She took her earphones out, stuffing them into her blazer pocket.