Part 4

Sabrina's breath caught in her throat as she stared at the man across the stage. He was staring back at her. Why? She couldn't deny that the idea of being watched by a handsome Army officer gave her a strange sensation in her stomach. His face was inscrutable beneath a black beret, but it was a very handsome face: high cheekbones, sensuous lips and a slight dimple in his left cheek that made her heart flutter. She suspected his hair was dark brown, but it was hard to tell since it was cut so short. His chest and shoulders were broad beneath his black service coat and when he moved, the sunlight flashed off the pins on his lapel and chest.

An older woman stood next to him and she spoke to him, making him look away. She felt...released. She could look away after their gazes broke, and she gave a nervous giggle as she looked over at Beth.

"Omigosh! He's hot!" Beth whispered with a grin on her face.

Sabrina tried to shrug nonchalantly, but couldn't suppress the grin.

Beth squinted and then gasped. "Wait!" She grabbed the program out of Sabrina's hand and flipped through the pages. "I thought he looked familiar. Look!" Beth held the program up and Sabrina blinked as she stared at the picture on the page of donors. It was the man, along with the woman who stood next to him.

"Grace Ralston and her son Christopher," Sabrina read aloud and then smiled. Donors to dance schools always made her thankful.

She glanced back over at the man she now knew was Christopher Ralston and saw him talking earnestly with the woman whom Sabrina identified as his mother. His mother laughed, making her whole face light up and Christopher's cheeks darkened. Mrs. Ralston looked like a very nice woman and made Sabrina long for her own mother back home. She'd been gone for two weeks already and missed her dear parents.

Sabrina sighed. "C'mon, let's go find the others."

*****

Later that evening, Chris plopped down on the barstool next to his best friend, Jayson Coleman, and nodded to the other people around the table. Mostly dancers from the Boston ballet company where Jayson danced, but a few friends from high school as well.

"Happy twenty-first," Chris said, patting his friend on the shoulder. He gave a broad smile to the others around the table, taking note of a high school female friend that had matured into a sexy woman over the last few years. Maybe she'd be able to get my mind off that girl.

After he'd lost the girl at the festival, he'd spent the better part of an hour looking for her, but the crowds were immense, and even with his above average height, he couldn't find her. He'd found his mother later feeling dejected, which amused her and irritated him. The entire way back to Boston, he'd tried to forget about her, but hadn't been successful. Perhaps a night of drinking and debauchery to celebrate his best friend's birthday would help. He didn't understand why he couldn't get the girl's face out of his mind.

Jayson grinned and held up his beer in greeting. "Wasn't sure if you were going to make it."

Chris waved his hand to get the attention of the waitress and she winked and sauntered toward him. "I told Mom that it was important for me to be back. 'Specially since I missed the last four."

Jayson punched him in the arm. "No kidding." He held up his hands. "No present?"

Chris laughed. "I'm just a poor soldier." The waitress appeared and he ordered a microbrew.

Jayson rolled his eyes. "Uh, huh. Army officer and son of one of the oldest families in the city. Not getting away with that, buddy."

"Hey, those royal families in Britain are all broke."

"You're not British."

"Well, somewhere along the line, I am."

"You're not royalty."

"You got me there." Chris laughed and slid an envelope across the table to his friend. "Happy Birthday."

Jayson grinned. "Thanks, man. Honestly, I'm just glad you're here." He gave Chris a side hug. "You've been playing soldier too much."

Chris could see the concern in his friend's eyes and he gave Jayson a wry grin. They were as close as brothers and he knew Jayson worried about his choice of occupation. "I'll be okay. Besides, I'm not the one who got hurt on the job." He nodded towards the wrapped foot. "How's it feeling?"

"Getting there. Wasn't on the job, though, as Martin likes to remind me." Jayson shrugged. "You'd think I'd be more graceful when showing off for a girl."

"You'd think," Chris agreed with a laugh. His beer appeared in front of him and he raised it up high. "To my best friend," he said loudly. The others at the table followed suit. "Happy birthday, buddy."

"Happy birthday!" The other shouted with happy cheers.