Chapter 10: Truth

Previously

"Thank you for agreeing to walk with me," Arthur stated as soon as they were outside of the library. Emma nodded. "I preferred to speak with you alone rather than have the King hanging over our every word."

Emma felt the hairs on the back of her neck rise, and she looked at up Arthur in contemplation. Her unease must have been evident though, for Arthur's eyes went wide at seeing her face and he began to speak again.

"I only mean to say that it is much easier to talk of the more pressing matters away from the King's ears," he explained quickly, his voice going high at the speed of his words. "Especially when it comes to...sensitive topics..." At this, Emma stopped abruptly and looked straight into Arthur's eyes. His piercing gaze pushed back at her, but his eyes remained soft and sensitive, as if trying to show care. Emma was truly unable to decipher this man.

"What sensitive topics do you speak of exactly?" Emma asked softly, still keeping her eyes on his face. Arthur seemed to take a deep breath, and then looked both to his right and his left before centering his eyes back on Emma. Then he bent low, close to her face, and dropped his voice to a whisper.

"Sensitive topics such as how the King abuses the Queen, and all of the precautions you are taking everyday to prevent it from happening."

Emma stared at him blankly as her heart dropped to her feet.

~~~

Emma stared into Arthur's eyes, searching, digging, anything she could do to try and see where his intentions lay. Could she trust him, or not? How did he know about this information in the first place? And how was it he worked under the King himself while he possessed this information?

Nothing made sense, and Emma didn't know how to respond.

"Arthur!"

The King had appeared in the doorway of his library, bellowing down the hall so his voice reached where she and Arthur stood now. Arthur turned to the call.

"Your majesty?" He inquired, turning towards the King's location with curiosity.

"Come back here at once, I require your assistance!" The King shouted, and then returned to the inside of his library, not even granting time for a response. Emma watched as Arthur took a deep breath and then sighed heavily before turning his gaze back to her own.

"We shall pick this up again as we have much to discuss," Arthur explained, his words poignant but his expression soft. Emma did not know what to make of this man in the least, and now the impending truth will hang over her for some time.

Emma only nodded, not able to trust the words that could escape if she allowed herself to speak. Arthur returned the gesture and then traced back the way they had come, crossing down the hall and through the door to the King's library. Emma stood in the spot for a few moments before breaking her stance and moving down the hall, idly wandering as her thoughts raced before she would be able to return to her duties.

~~~

"Did you know anything about this?!" Cora screamed, her voice echoing across the sitting room of the apartment she shared with Henry. Henry winced at the screech in his wife's voice, using all of his strength to prevent his hands from clasping over his ears to block it out.

"Cora, I truly don't understand what you're going on about," Henry replied gently, yet trying to make attempts to clarify what it was that had Cora upset.

"Our daughter, Henry!" Cora screamed, turning away from him and beginning to pace the room. "Something is different, something has changed. She is...happy." The way Cora spoke the last word made it seem as if Regina had contracted a disgusting plague, causing Henry's face to change to one of confusion.