Chapter 11

It was a few nights before Christmas, and I was currently talking with Draco in my bedroom. Ever since he had come back to Hogwarts early, we had grown very close. There was something that made him easy to talk to. It might be because he doesn't think of me as The-Boy-Who-Lived, or the Chosen One. He sees me as just Harry. That's more than I could say for most of my other friends.
   "When was the first time you rode a broom?" He asked. We were currently talking about our pasts, though focusing on lighter subjects.
   "Actually, it was when you took Neville's Remeberall." He looked shocked. "What?" I said defensively.
   "That was the first time you rode a broom ever?" He said incredulously. I just nodded. "Merlin, Harry, no wonder you made the quiddich team in your first year!" He said.  I just shrugged in response, feeling rather uncomfortable.
"Why do you like potions so much?" I asked, quickly shifting the subject away from me. I hated talking about myself, it always seemed as if I were bragging.
   "A rather abrupt subject change, wouldn't you agree, Harry?" He said, shaking his head. I just smiled back at him. A real, true smile. I'd been doing that a lot lately, more than I could ever remember. "I've always been drawn to potions. Of course, with Severus being my godfather, it was inevitable." He answered. I stared at him, completely shocked.
   "Snape is your godfather?" I said stupidly. He just gave me a look as if it were obvious.
   "That is what I said, Potter. Do try to keep up." He said, his classic smirk gracing his features. I scowled in response, but Draco just laughed. My scowl soon melted into anther smile. Over the time we had spent together I began to appreciate Draco more than ever before. He was still sarcastic, and had a rather dry sense of humor, but it wasn't offensive, as it had been in previous years. It was actually quite funny, and I found myself laughing at most of his jokes. Not only did I find myself appreciating his personality, but also his obvious attractiveness. There was his often tousled sky blue locks, that were free of product. His stunningly silver eyes, and his thin pale lips. The gorgeous tattoo and earring only enhanced his already sharp features, and lean frame.
   "Harry?" I heard Draco ask, bringing me out of my musings. I blushed slightly at being caught daydreaming about my newfound friend.
   "I'm sorry, what?" I ask sheepishly.
   "Are you okay?" He asks. I sigh, I should've seen that coming. Even though he wasn't as insistent as Hermione was, Draco did often ask how I was doing. The main difference being that it was far more difficult to lie to the other boy.
   "I'm fine-" I winced at how untruthful the words sounded. "I mean, I'm okay, Draco. Just thinking." I said, hoping I convinced him. He looked skeptical, but soon nodded.
   "If you insist, Harry. Though, if you do require anything, you know I'm available." He said seriously, looking me in the eye. I nodded in response.

======================

"Do you think I could convince McGonagall to let me go to Hogsmead?" I asked Draco. He was sitting across from me in the common room reading. He barely glanced up from his book when he responded.
"There's no reason to keep you from going. Why?" He asked, giving me a brief questioning glance.
"I have a bit more shopping I need to do for the holidays." I answered. What I didn't say aloud was that I had decided the previous night to get something for Draco. It seemed wrong not to, considering how close we had become.
   "I believe I should come as well. I have a bit of shopping to do myself." He said thoughtfully, returning back to the book on his lap. I nodded, though I knew he couldn't see me.
   "I'll go ask McGonagall, then." I said, standing up. Draco just waved his hand in a dismissing way. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the gesture. I quickly walked out of the portrait towards the Headmistress's office. When I reached the gargoyle I took a deep breath, trying desperately to keep the memories at bay. I forced my eyes to stay open, knowing I'd see blue ones behind half moon spectacles if I closed them. After a few minutes, I finally worked up the courage and spoke the password. I rode the spiral staircase up, and knocked on the old wood of the office door.
"Enter." Came McGonagall's voice from inside. I walked in, seeing the Headmistress's face twist into a slight smile. "Harry, what can I do for you?" she asked.
"Sorry to bother you, Professor. I was wondering if I could go to Hogsmead with Draco?" I asked hesitantly. I was still a bit nervous around the imposing woman.
"Harry, of course you can go. Though I must say I'm surprised with who you chose to go with. I though you and Mr. Malfoy didn't like each other. I distinctly remember breaking up quite a few fights between the two of you." She said, a thoughtful look on her face, that looked very similar to a certain bushy haired girl.
"Yeah, we made up a few months ago." I said, a slight smile tugging at the corner of my lips. "Thank you for letting us go to Hogsmead." I said quickly. She just smiled knowingly, which confused me.
"You are very welcome, Harry. Please remember, that my door is still open to you." She said seriously. I nodded in response, walking back down the staircase.

======================

"Ugh, Draco. Why do you insist on spending so much time in a bloody bookstore of all places?" I groaned. We had been going through the different aisles for the past half hour.
"Unlike you, Harry, I enjoy reading. You are the one who insists on staying by me through this obvious attempt at torture." He said, rolling his eyes. I sighed, even Hermione didn't spend so much time in a bookstore.
"I'm going to head over to Honeyduke's. Feel free to join me when you're done." I said, seeing Draco briefly wave before turning towards the exit. I quickly walked in the direction of Honeyduke's, but kept walking past it. I hadn't been able to get away from Draco until now. I walked past a jewelry store on our way here, and saw something in the display that seemed to be the perfect gift for the other boy.
I walked into the store, and was immediately greeted by a consultant.
"Mr. Potter! How can I be of service to you?" She asked excitedly. She wore a basic black blouse and a pinstriped pencil skirt, her black heels clicking against the hardwood floor.
"Hello, I was wondering how much the earring in the window display is?" I asked nervously. I rarely ever went into stores like these, and felt underdressed in my basic jeans and hoodie.
"The dangling leaf?" She asked. I nodded. "That is an exclusive for this season. It will be 35 galleons." She said. I pulled out the bag of galleons I brought with me.
"Do you gift wrap?" I asked. I was awful at wrapping, and I didn't want Draco to mock me for that. She nodded, and left to grab the earring from the back. She came back with a black velvet box and some basic silver paper.
"Who's the lucky lady?" She asked with a smirk on her face. I blushed at the question.
"No! It's just for a friend." I said quickly. She just continued to smirk and handed me the wrapped box. I gave her the money and thanked her.
"Have a good day!" She chirped. I quickly hid the box in my pocket and made my way to Honeyduke's. As soon as I walked over to the chocolate frogs I saw a head of pale blue hair enter. He briefly looked around before making his way over.
"Are you nearly ready?" He asked. I nodded, and he raised an eyebrow. "You haven't gotten anything, Harry. Are you sure?" He asked.
"Not really in the mood for sweets, I suppose." I responded, and it was true. I had lost most of my sweet tooth after the end of the war. He sighed and grabbed a few chocolate frog packs, and walked over to the register. He then turned back to me.
"Are you coming, Potter?" He asked, a smirk on his face. I just walked forward, trying to repress a smile.