Izzy missed the following hit, forcing Vita to walk to the middle of the court to retrieve the ball. Her friend met her there.

"What is she looking at?" Izzy whispered, her hand on the net and her eyebrows knitted together.

"The graveyard is over there," Vita replied, her even tone well practised to hide her worry. "We've managed to keep her from visiting it every day, at least. Now she only goes on Sundays, before the service." She sighed. "She still talks to Papa's tombstone, though. And Uncle Rohan's. And Uncle Amir's if it's one of those days. And she bursts into tears when she sees Archie, which isn't embarrassing at all."

Sarcasm was back in her voice, and she closed her eyes to chase away her uneasiness. Izzy's expression was compassionate, but Vita doubted she could understand what it was like to be Lady Shaftesbury, who had lost her husband and two brothers in one year. The closest family member who had died during the war was one of her father's cousin Izzy had only met a couple of times.

"Anyway," Vita said, louder this time. "Let's take a break."

They took cover under the parasol, and Vita's mother seemed to take this as her cue to leave. She excused herself, and slowly made her way back to the house, her back straight but her pace unsteady on the lawn. Her delicate, black figure seemed out of place in the bright sunshine, but Vita was still pleased she had succeeded in pulling herself away from her old photographs and memories to join them for a moment. When Graham came to meet her and offered her his arm, Vita focused back on the glasses Izzy was refilling.

She had a lot she wanted to say, but she had trouble deciding where to start. For a moment they were quiet, the birds singing in the trees around the court the only sound breaking the silence.

"I'm really glad you're back," Vita said at last, her eyes on the park beyond the fence.

"I'm glad to be back too," Izzy simply replied. "I've missed you."

They both took a sip of their drinks, before Vita went on:

"I know how much you've been looking forward to this Season--" Izzy perked up, her expression bright with hope. "—but you need to understand there's a lot going on at the moment." She waved her hand at the front of the house. "Just this morning Thompson found a dead deer outside the door. Killed."

Izzy's eyes widened in shock. "By... people?"

"Yes," Vita said. "Archie says it's nothing, farm boys fooling around, but I think he's lying to protect me. I don't know how he'll feel about me moving to London for the summer. And I don't know how Mama will feel about it, either."

"You'll be as safe in London as you are here," Izzy replied. "Safer, even, by the sound of it. No murdered deer there."

Vita tilted her head to the side, hesitating.

Izzy's face fell. "What?"

"There's been another girl found dead," Vita replied. "I read it in the Times this morning."

Izzy clasped her hand over her mouth. "Here?!"

Vita shook her head, unsurprised her friend hadn't heard the news.

"No, in London. It's the second girl to disappear after going to a nightclub in the East End. The police found her body in a deserted street at dawn yesterday."

"That's horrible!"

Suddenly pale, Izzy put her glass back down onto the table. Vita gathered the empty glasses, then took the tray of refreshments and made her way towards the house. Izzy followed.

"What's odd is that she wasn't killed Jack-The-Ripper style," Vita added. "She and the other girl were electrocuted. Very 20th century."

"I'm sure it's one of those foreigners," Izzy said, matching her stride. "Chinese or whatever. They've invaded East London and now they're killing perfectly nice girls."

Vita bit back a snappy reply. After all, her mother was a foreigner herself. But Izzy was just repeating what she'd heard at home.

"You listen to your father too much," she said. "It could be a veteran. Some of them came back from the war very damaged."

She had made the comment off-hand, but it brought her thoughts to Archie, who couldn't sleep without taking pills. They reached the house, and went up the stairs leading to the main entrance.

"Who were the girls?" Izzy asked.

"Flappers out for the night," Vita replied. "Eighteen and nineteen years old. Now you understand why Archie will be reluctant to let me loose in London."

A smile spread across Izzy's face. Not the reaction Vita expected. She raised an eyebrow.

"Why are you smiling?"

"You said 'will'," Izzy replied. "Does this mean you've decided?"

Vita tilted her head to the side. Her use of the future tense had only been half-intentional, but in many ways, attending the Season with Izzy might be the distraction she needed. An occupation that would steer her away from the worries brought on by her mother's health, Archie's secrets and the newspapers' chilling stories.

They entered the house, and Graham took the tray off Vita's hands.

She let out a sigh, her mind made up. "Yes. If I can, I'll come to London and stay with you. I'll go to those stupid balls and tea parties. I'll pretend I'm a good girl."

With a delighted squeal, Izzy hopped up and down twice before squeezing her in a tight embrace.

"Oh, Vita, you're the best!"

Vita tensed in surprise, but Izzy kissed her on the cheek and let her go.

*** 

Thanks for reading! If you've enjoyed this chapter, please feel free to vote and comment.

And let me if you're looking forward to the girls' arrival in London :)