5

[Picture of Ava George]

I stopped at my locker right next to Colleen. I put in the combination, praying it won't jam. I pulled the lock up, fingers crossed.

Dang, it!

Just my luck.

   I re-entered the three number combination a little slower this time making sure not to pass the numbers. I pulled up slowly once again...

Yes! I opened my locker checking myself in the mirror and spraying my 'Romantic' perfume. I reached for my dry shampoo and sprayed that all over my roots.

  It's just the best feeling.

I no joke go through bottles of those. I just got one last week and it's almost gone.

Colleen started walking away and I threw my binder into my messy locker. Tons of water bottles on the top shelf and loads of paper all over the place.

"Colleen wait for me!" I shoved my vs pink sweatshirt inside.

She turns around giving me an are-you-kidding-me-look. "Ashley I don't want to be late."

"You won't," I reassured her glancing into the mirror one last time before closing my locker.

I start walking towards her when of course the final bell goes off. Now she looked pretty annoyed.

I really know how to push people's buttons today.

   "I can't keep being late! She already marked me sixteen times."

   "I know Coll I'm sorry." She didn't say anything after that. She was speed walking down the hallway. Colleen was so much farther than me. One step for me is like 10 steps for her.

    Finally, we rushed into our language arts class making our way to our seats. Mrs. Kennedy was in the middle of her teaching, so when we oh-so-kindly interrupted she immediately stopped talking.

    I walked slowly towards the double desks seeing that the seat right beside me was empty. Thank god, Andrew wasn't going to be sitting here with me. I don't know what I would've done.

He probably skipped.

   I set my books on the empty desk beside me sitting at my seat. I almost didn't hear mrs. Kennedy lecturing us about being 'tardy'.

Huh, tardy.

What a funny word.

"This is unacceptable!" She frowned crossing her frail arms. "Do you girls want another lunch detention?"

We just sat there staring at her. I honestly couldn't care less about a dumb lunch detention. Try me, I dare you.

   The room was silent for a few moments more, everyone looking between me, Colleen and Mrs. Kennedy.

   I kept my head down, avoiding anymore eye contact. The room remained silent before she began talking again. As usual, I tuned her rather irritating voice out, isolating myself into my own little bubble.

Who cares about journalism? Not me.

                                      •••