Chapter 56. {Challenges}

"Zayn's birthday is coming up. Did you know that?" Siva perched down next to me on the tatty sofa where I'm currently sitting with my legs crossed, and purple notebook on my lap. Again, I'm trying to pour my thoughts and emotions into a poem.

"Yeah, I'm aware of that. It's in two weeks, though. We have to celebrate--holy crap! We totally missed Christmas! How did we not celebrate Christmas?!" I gasped suddenly as reality hit me. It's the 29th of December today... holy cow. Seriously, reality had just hit me like a raw fish in my face!

"Honestly sweetheart, we've had more things to worry about then something like Christmas. I mean, Christmas is a time to be with family, and frankly love... most of us don't have family anymore." Jay walks into the room, and places around Siva's shoulder sympathetically.

"We're like a family, though. I mean you boys are practically like brothers. You're all like frat brothers, to be honest."

 "Yes, that's true. But it's okay. Don't worry about it. We'll celebrate it next year... if we're alive that long." Jay chuckled the last bit, but Siva and I were not amused. He's always joking about death, saying how he's not afraid of it, and when his time comes, he'll greet death like a friend... the guy is completely insane if you ask me.

"Okay fine, whatever. Still though... we need to plan Zayn's birthday. Do you guys even celebrate with parties, or what?" I looked at the two very close friends, curiously but they both shrug.

"No darling, we don't actually. Usually Tom, Max, Jay and Zayn head out to the pubs if it's either one of their birthday's. But, if it's Nath's or mines we don't make a big deal out of it. It's just another year getting closer to death--freedom from this gang." Siva tells me with a small smile.

"That's so sad." I say, shaking my head in dismay, "you guys need to celebrate the days when you were born! It's a good time."

"Yeah well, it's just a normal day for us." Jay shrugs his shoulders and smiles too.

"You guys are useless. Okay, you need to help me! We need to--"

"--first of all, let's worry about Niall and your mother. Then we'll worry about a stupid birthday celebration ho ha. He's turning twenty-one, big woop. It's not making much of a difference. You can drink in the United Kingdom at eighteen. Oh wow, if he does to America he can drink there, ooooh." the amount of sarcasm in Jay's tone made me wonder if Nathan was actually talking.

Either that or Jay's spending way too much time with that fringed angel like guy.

[Niall]

"What are you doing, Styles?!" I question the messy curly haired guy, who is currently staring at his phone which is placed on the counter of the table in front of him. "Oh God--you aren't stalking her again, are you?! If you are. I'll break your phone, and knock you head with it to bang some sense into you!" I groaned, approaching him.

He quickly stuffed it into his tight jean pockets. I have no idea how he can fit into them, how can his balls even breathe in there?!

"Nah. It's okay. I'm fine." he lies straight through his teeth. Idiot.

"Do you have any other mates, apart from that damn girl?"

"Um... well, yeah I did. But after the incident with Nikki--"

"--where you cheated on her, nice work." I cut him off and grinned at him, which wasn't returned. I wasn't surprised because he's been beating himself up over it. I don't know why. She's too clingy anyway. I would've done the same.

"Yeah. That. Er, so... before that I had a group of friends, but they must've been disgusted by what I had done, and turned their backs on me. They're probably at school right now." he sighs to himself, aw... he misses his wittle fwends. I think I might puke in my own mouth.