Chapter Twelve

Carrie woke up in the morning, surrounded by warmth and was confused until she opened her eyes, seeing that she was snuggled into Darren's side and his hand was holding her against him as he slept. A smile crossed her face as she snuggle closer into his massive side, yawning quietly.

Feeling a small movement, Darren opened his eyes slightly and looked down at Carrie with a smile. "Good morning." He said softly as he took a finger, lightly rubbing her back with it. "I hope you slept well." And he genuinely did, and wanted her to be more relaxed and emotionally stable from last nights endeavors. 

With a small blush, Carrie simply nodded as she moved away from him, stretching her arms above her head with a yawn. It was then her stomach growled fiercely and she flinched, wrapping her arms around her torso and looked up at him with a small, pleading look. 

Raising an eyebrow, it took him a moment before it registered that she needed something to eat. "Oh, right. I'll make some pancakes, does that sound good?" He murmured, reaching down and plucked her up by the back of her shirt, earning a small yelp and glare from her.

"Darren!" She whined, looking at him and crossed her arms as he chuckled. "Don't laugh at me, it's not funny!" She whined again as she tried to break free from his fingers, kicking her legs and waving her arms to try and break free.

Watching her struggle only amused the human more, causing him to laugh as he gently placed her in his palm. "Calm down tiny. If you managed to break free you'd have plummeted straight to the floor. And I would not want you to get hurt. Today, you are going to relax and try to let your guard down."

Let her guard down? Yeah right. Like that was ever going to happen. But the thought of plummeting to the floor made her shudder. "Don't call me tiny." She mumbled as she got herself situated in his palm, looking back up to his face. "It's funny how annoying you can be at the same time you're being helpful."

With another chuckle, Darren teasingly poked her. "I will take that as a compliment. Now, you can sit on the table while I make the pancakes. We can talk a little bit too if you'd like, but then after breakfast I'm afraid I have to go to work." Gently placing Carrie on the table, he looked down at her with a warm smile. "Hopefully you'll be okay being alone all day."

A frown tugged at her lips as she looked up at him from the table. "Can I please go with you this time? I really don't want to be alone all day, if that's okay with you." In all honesty, she didn't want to be alone after yesterday at all. And she knew that Lori was his coworker, so she wasn't entirely certain about him being alone with her either.

"I don't know if it's such a good idea Carrie. I work at an office, and there's a lot of people there. Someone else might see you, and your size of people isn't exactly well known. I'm pretty sure only Lori and I know about you." Darren replied as he turned his back to her. He didn't want to take her, then have someone not as kind as him find her and possibly hurt her. Just the thought of it made his heart beat faster in a bit of panic.

"I'd be fine though! I'd stay hidden at your desk, a-and I won't talk, I won't move or do anything! I just don't want to be alone." Looking down, Carrie sat cross legged on the table before she slowly looked up and played with her hair as she watched him begin to make breakfast. 

Glancing over at the small girl, a sad look formed on his face at the pleading, almost desperate look in her eyes as she tried to convince him to take her along. With a small sigh, he gave in and nodded. "Fine, but you have to promise me you'll listen and stay out of site from everyone else but me and Lori, alright?" He ordered sternly as he poured the pancake mix into the pan.

"Oh, yes! I promise!" She said excitedly, smiling up at him since she was happy she didn't have to stay alone in this giant house all day. And that she could keep an eye on him and Lori as well.

Once Darren had finished making breakfast, he placed the plate on the table and looked down at Carrie. "Go on and dig in." He said with a light chuckle, cutting off a bit of the pancake for her to eat as he began to eat the larger half.

Smiling, Carrie ate some of the spongy food, enjoying the sweetness of the syrup and soft texture of the actual cake. Pushing her brown hair out of her face, she turned her green eyes up to the human. "Thank you Darren." She said softly once she finished, rising to feet.

Finishing around the same time as her, he looked down at her and returned the soft smile. "It's no problem Carrie. Now, I have to go get ready for work. Can you wait down here just for a few minutes? You won't run away outside again will you?" He mumbled, mostly teasing but was also serious. Almost losing her last time made him realize how carefully he had to keep an eye on her.

"Of course I won't." Carrie replied with a slight giggle. "I'll wait right here for you big fella." 

"I'm not big, you're just tiny." He gave her another teasing poke and earned another giggle before he turned and made his way upstairs to change.

Watching him walk away, she smiled and just sat on the table as she waited, playing with her hair and hummed quietly to herself. This was hopefully going to be a fun day.