Chapter Thirty Four: The Betrayal

JI Hyo and Gary continued to work professionally, seeing each other regularly on the set of Running Man.  Gary, true to his word, maintained his distance from her.  It wasn't easy for both of them to be separated from each other but to Ji Hyo, she needed to know if Gary was the right man she wanted to spend the rest of her life with.

After several weeks of filming Running Man and Emergency Couple, Ji Hyo decided to take a break and go on a mini vacation by visiting her mother.  Gary kept busy with his music and restaurant. 

Since they have been apart for quite some time, Gary continued to focus on his music.  He recently released his mini solo album which was well received through the music industry and public. His popularity has increased due to his successful music and television career. He is becoming somewhat of a celebrity among the people of Korea and other nearby Asian countries.  Though fame and fortune has made him financially secured, his life felt somewhat incomplete as he always came home to an empty house.  Gary's feelings for Ji Hyo resembles his quote from Running Man episode 55, where he says, "if this is what you call love? when you have it, it's a burden, without it you're lonely."  Separated from Ji Hyo for this amount of time has made Gary miss her even more. Those lonely days and nights without her started to become unbearable for him.

Gary, along with Gil were focusing on releasing their next album, which was due to come out soon.  While making the video for one of their songs, someone caught Gary's eye.  It was a young production assistant.  Gary inquired who she was from the producers and seeing how interested he was to meet her, made arrangements for them to go out.  She agreed to go out with Gary.  He took her to a nice restaurant for dinner where they enjoyed a fine meal and pleasant conversations.  Although Gary was normally shy among women, he felt quite relaxed and comfortable talking with her.  The only person he ever felt relaxed around was Ji Hyo, so he was pleasantly surprised how easily he got along with  his dinner date.  After that one dinner date, they would continue to see each other on a regular basis.

While on her mini vacation visiting her mother, Ji Hyo was unaware of what was going on with Gary.  Her mother inquired how she was doing.

"Ji Hyo, what is happening in your life now?"

"Umma, everything is good with filming but I have something to tell you....I was seeing someone for quite some time but I don't know if I should continue seeing him....I'm confused about us...but I know he loves me and I love him too."

Ji Hyo's mom looked at her daughter's troubled look.

"If you love him and he loves you than that should be enough to live by for now....at least until you two find someone better that would make you truly happy....is it Kang Gary who you love?"

Shocked by her mother's question, Ji Hyo asked, "how did you know?"

"I just guessed...you always talk about him when we are on the phone and just now the look in your eyes gave it away," Ji Hyo's mom said.

"Umma, I do love him so much but we both work in the entertainment industry and it's not easy keeping a long lasting relationship while in this field.  We are always surrounded by beautiful people and he gets very jealous when he sees me with someone else.  I told him that when I am out with a male actor it is just on a business level and not personal but Gary gets jealous so easily.  I worry about his temper, too.  He goes clubbing every weekend, meets lots of beautiful girls and drinks.  Is this who I want to be with?"

Ji Hyo starts getting misty eyed.

"But with all his faults...I don't know why I can't stop loving him...I know this relationship won't work out but why can't I let him go?"

"Because your love for him is very strong...he has touched your soul in a way that no other person ever has...if you truly care for this man and you want to see if he can give you that happiness you have been looking for than you should be with him...if your love for him was meant to be and vice versa than everything you two have ever dreamed about in a relationship will fall into place...but for now do not think ahead because you cannot foresee what your future would be like...live for this moment for it won't come back again."

"Thank you umma...I think I know what I need to do."

After visiting her mom, Ji Hyo excitedly wanted to see Gary to let him know that she made up her mind and that she knew what she wanted in this relationship.  Before leaving for home, she telephoned Kwang Soo and asked him if he could accompany her to Gary's apartment.  She wanted to talk to him but didn't want the public to know that they had been seeing each other for quite some time already. 

Kwang Soo knew about Gary's new relationship but didn't have the courage nor heart to tell Ji Hyo.  He figured Gary should be the one to tell her.

Ji Hyo was giddy with happiness as she went to Gary's apartment.  She was holding some flowers and a box with a cake.  It was the same cake she had bought him in one of the Valentine episodes of Running Man.  Kwang Soo was with Ji Hyo to avoid suspicion from the public that she was there to see Gary.  Their excuse for visiting him would be matters regarding their variety show. 

Kwang Soo rang the doorbell, while Ji Hyo stood behind him.  Gary who was wearing a robe answered the door.

"Oh, Kwang Soo..what are you doing here?"

Kwang Soo looked at Gary and was trying to hint to him that someone was behind his back but it was too late. Ji Hyo sprang out from behind his back and hugged Gary, who was shocked beyond belief. 

"Oh, Ji Hyo...when did you get back?"

"Oppa, aren't' you gl..."

Suddenly a young woman's voice was heard coming out from Gary's apartment.

"Oppa...do you have a towel?"

Ji Hyo took a step back, put one hand on her mouth and gasped.

"Ji Hyo...I.."

Without looking at him, she says "these are for you."  She hands the bouquet of flowers to Gary, including the small box that contained the cake.  My mother says hello to you and she wanted you to have these. 

Tears were clearly visible as she handed the items to Gary.  She then quickly walked out of his apartment and headed for the elevator.  Kwang Soo followed her.  She felt humiliated that Gary would do this to her.  The elevator door opened and they stepped inside but just as the door was about to close, Gary steps inside. 

"Ji Hyo...I'm so sorry...I didn't want you to find out this way..."

Ji Hyo with heavy tears, went behind Kwang Soo's back.

"I thought you loved me...I thought you wanted me...you lied to me...I don't ever want anything to do with you...please leave me alone..."

Kwang Soo didn't know what to do.  He was friends with both of them but he couldn't stand to see them this way.

"Hyung...please go back to your apartment...I will take her home."

Gary knew he hurt Ji Hyo badly tonight...he didn't want to leave her like this but there was nothing else he could do.

"Please Ji Hyo, you have to believe me that I didn't mean for this to happen."

"No oppa, I don't believe you anymore...I don't believe anything you have to say to me....I have forgiven you in the past for the mistakes you've made in our relationship but this...this is unforgivable..."

Gary tried to get Ji Hyo away from Kwang Soo so he could hug her and tell her how sorry he truly was for hurting her so but Kwang Soo blocked him from getting to her.

"Hyung, this is not a good time..."

Then the elevator door opened and Kwang Soo, protecting Ji Hyo from Gary, had her walk in front of him so Gary couldn't get to her.  He then escorted her to his car and drove off.

Gary watched them drive off from the lobby doors.