Budding

You never really liked people, but Wilson? Wilson was something special.

   You watched contentedly as he demonstrated his Science Machine. It did exactly what the title advertised, science-y things. Technically, it broke things down to their basic alchemical components, but that sort of thing went right over your head.

   Wilson had been rambling about it for a while now, but you had been lost in his eyes the whole time. They were so curiously dark, like the blue at the bottom of the ocean.

   "So, as you can see, the minerals produced by the Science Machine would be impossible to retrieve naturally." The scientist beamed proudly, while you nodded.

   "Seems like magic, to me." You teased. That always seemd to ruffle his feathers, comparing science to magic.

   Wilson deflated, and shot you a serious glare. "It's alchemy, my dear (y/n). Magic doesn't exist. It's all just science we don't understand yet."

   "Snowbird, you are the oddest man I've ever met." You smiled wider, egging him on. "You're literally trapped in a world that defies logic and physics, yet you still don't belive in magic?"

   Wilson shrugged, his temper disappearing. "Everything here can still be explained, (y/n). We just haven't figured out a way how."

   "Fair enough." You rustled his wild hair, earning a laugh from the man.

   He was endearing, in an odd way, with numerous quirks and nervous tics, all of which put a smile on your face. Maybe it was because he was from a different time that put you at ease.

   Life had become a routine. Wake up, go out, come home, talk to Wilson. Dispite your love for the wilds, the latter had become your favorite part of the day, and you found yourself slowly returning earlier and earlier.

   To be honest, you really had no idea why you had told him that stuff about your parents. He had just looked so open, his eyes so understanding... come to think of it, you'd never really had someone to vent to before.

   Maybe this is what you needed all along?

   It was approaching Spring, when you first put your emotions into coherent thought. You had been out, picking flowers for a salad and gathering firewood, when it just popped into your head.

   These would look great on Wilson. You thought, affection squeezing your heart as you thought of the gentle scientist. "God, I love him."

   You had froze, your hand hovering over the flower's waiting stem, as the word 'love' bounced around your skull.

   You hadn't used that word to describe how you felt about someone in... how long had it been since your parents died? A long time, that's for sure. The mere thought of it filled your belly with butterflies.

   You frowned, recoiling from the plant that had put such vile thoughts in your head. No, no I don't, people are awful.

   But Wilson's an exception, a part of you whispered, what could a cinnamon roll like him do to hurt you?

   "Plenty of things." You vocalized, trying to press your thoughts down. "Besides, you aren't cut out for love."

   You turned to leave, but it seemed... wrong to abandon the little tulip. You quickly snapped it's stem, pocketed it, and went on your not-so merry way.

   Wilson greeted you as always, with dinner and a new invention, but you were curiously silent, giving him a quiet nod before heading over to stare into the firepit. If he was put off by this, he didn't show it, as he sat down beside you with the usual amount of enthusiasm.

   "I found us some Catcoon meat, along with some beech nuts that made for quite a stew!" Wilson handed you a sloppily carved bowl, full of rich, thick soup. "Those crock pots sure do come in handy, if I say so myself."

   His hand brushed against yours, sending a jolt of electricity through your body. You blushed deeply, averting his eyes. "Thanks."