Chapter Eleven: Emily

Start from the beginning

It's been a few hours since we found the cure, and no-one has any idea where Will has gone. I'm so freaked, especially because of how angry he was before he left. What happens if he's hurt, or stuck? If there's anything I know about him it's that when he gets angry he does stupid things, makes stupid choices, and I would never forgive myself if something has happened to him. It's about 1am when Jilly tells me to go home, that she'll call me when he gets back. In smile tiredly, get up from the floor in the entrance foyer and open the door. I take one last hopeful look around, but deep in my heart I know he isn't back. I trudge home in a worried, tired haze. Thank the Lord Mum's on a business trip and Dad's gone back to the plastic wife and terrible twin set in California, so when I get in I don't have to face the firing squad. I sink down onto the bed, set my phone on the bedside table facing towards me, and then lie back on the pillows, lying in wait for the phone call I hope will come.

The next morning, I'm awake with a start, mentally cursing myself for succumbing to sleep. I quickly check my phone, but there's only a text from Joel saying there's no sign of my run-away boyfriend. I sigh, get up, and make myself some pancakes, standing next to the stove like a zombie in my clothes I've worn for three days now. After I've eaten I check my phone again, but still nothing, so I decide to take a shower and wash away the accumulated dust and dirt that's built up from searching through several rows of hundred-year-old books. When I get out I feel better, but only marginally because that little worm of worry is still burrowing into my chest. An hour and a half later I'm sitting on the couch with the phone on the table in front of me when it rings. I lean forward with lightning fast reflexes and press call accept button, gluing the phone to my ear. "Hello? Is he back?" I ask whoever is on the other end. "Yes, but, he's in wolf form. Do you think you can do that freaky mind talking thing and get him to turn back?" asks Jilly, and I tell her I'll be there as soon as I can. I quickly shove my phone in my pocket, grab some car keys from on top of the microwave and rush out of the house.

The garage door moves slowly upwards, revealing the cherry red Alfa Romeo that is sitting in wait in our dusty garage. It's my dad's car, and he's told me only to use it in emergencies. "Well Em, I think that bringing your boyfriend back from wolfness counts as an emergency," I think to myself as I climb into the plush leather driving seat. Five seconds later I'm speeding along the winding country lanes to Huntington Manor, and my wolfy boyfriend.

When I pull into the long gravel driveway at the house, the first thing I see is Phil, Colin and Ben holding down a huge white wolf that is hauntingly familiar on the front porch. I leap over the chipped banister and fall into a crouch in front of the wolf. I stare into Will eye's, and try to find the connection we had when he chased through the school all those weeks ago. The wolf stares back at me with big silver eyes, a deep growl rumbling from deep within its chest. I keep staring back, searching for the line that connects me to him. Then, with a click, it's almost like I can feel his consciousness, his life force. I take a deep breath, and speak. "Will? Can you hear me?" I ask tentatively, and the wolf's growl echoes louder, its giant paws shuffling on the wooden boards of the porch. "Emily?" I hear Will's voice whisper in my head, and a smile breaks out across my face. "Do you think you can change back? I've been so worried about you!" I say lovingly, stroking his velvety soft white muzzle, which makes him purr and me giggle. Then I hear a catch in its breath, and suddenly Will is lying in its place. "Hello stranger!" I smile softly, leaning down to kiss him hello. When I lean back I see that he's fallen asleep. "Typical boy!" I laugh with Jilly, watching as he boys carry him up to the bedroom. I sit down with her in the back garden, where there is a small Japanese koi pond in the middle of an abnormally large hedge maze. We sit there and talk for a while, until I feel Jilly pause. "What is it?" I ask, concern written on my face. "It's just.... I feel bad that we dragged you into our mess," Jilly says sadly, looking guiltily down at her denim clad knees. I put my hand under her chin and bring up her head until she's looking at me properly. "Jilly, you have no idea how much happier I've become since I found out the truth. I'm so much.... freer, so much better then I was. I do it all again a thousand times and never change a thing. I love you all too much to let you go, and nothing is going to stand in the way of my family. So, I don't care if you guys are wolves, or.... LOCH NESS MONSTERS! For God's sake, as long as you'll have me I'll be there!" I exclaim, and Jilly smiles again. "But what about the cure? I know Will said that you couldn't do it, but I want to know what's going on under those curls!" Jilly says, smiling wickedly, tugging on a lock of chocolate brown hair. "I would do it in a second, if only Will weren't so friggin' noble. I don't care about the sacrifices, because at the end of the day it makes him safe. So what if I'll never see him, or my family again, as long as he's safe. So, I'm going to do it. Somehow," I sigh, and Jilly smiles sadly and gives me a hug, keeping her arm around my shoulders when she pulls away. We sit there for hours, talking about anything and everything. Sure, Will is my love, my life, but Jilly? She'll be my best friend forever.